[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Irvine Welsh? I've only read Filth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: filthh.jpg (22KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
filthh.jpg
22KB, 317x475px
What does /lit/ think of Irvine Welsh? I've only read Filth and Crime (which was less interesting but still pretty good). Should I read any of his other books?
>>
I went to the bookstore to buy Filth and ended up walking out with Trainspotting. Haven't read it yet, but I liked the movie so...
>>
I like his work but recently attempted to read Filth and became bored and gave up on it. It might have worked as a short story but who wants to read about a character like that for an extended period of time?
>>
>>8460836
I like Children of God and The Great Annihillator much more than Filth, but prefer Filth to To Bee Kind.
>>
What is Welsh's most lit book?
>>
>>8460967
Probably Glue or Marabou Stork Nightmares. I'd say Glue though. It's his most serious work.
>>
Be warned: the movies cut out a lot of the darker, more depressing content.
>>
>>8461052
It really just cut out all the stories that weren't related to the overarching narrative that involved Renton.
>>
>>8461032
>>8460961
Is Trainspotter good? I didn't know he had other titles but it was on sale at my bookstore.
>>
>>8461080
Yeah read it and find out for yourself but I thought it was great
>>
>>8461052
I thought the movie was good. I haven't read the book though
>>
>>8460961
Soundtracks is the best though my man
>>
>>8461080
His books are great. But people on /lit/ don't think he's "patrician" because he seems to be a "one trick pony". All early books have the same topic: delinquent Scottish youths and/or drugs. Despite this though all of Welsh's books are great. He's able to create in-depth flawed characters. Another turn off is he writes in colloquial Scottish slang. So everything is typed as it sounds when spoken. It's very hard to read at first, but eventually you pick up on the slang.
>>
>>8461032
Marabou Stork Nightmares is great. I've got a signed copy of Glue but haven't read it.
>>
>>8460836

No, he's mostly fucking shite mate
>>
I don't know, I'm Scottish and personally find his usage of 'colloquial Scots' to be irritating and 2edgy
>>
>>8461406
>>8462023
His Hubert Selby Jr influence is all too clear brah.

>>8460911
Filth > Trainspotting (both book and films IMO)

>>8461032
>>8461407
Marabou was alright. The "reveal" was far too edgy for my liking but i enjoyed the use of typography to signal the switch between his conscious and sub-conscious
>>
Scots have the best accent
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.