[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why bother BUYING physical books when it's so easy to download

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 16

File: amazon-kindle-3-2.jpg (197KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
amazon-kindle-3-2.jpg
197KB, 1000x1000px
Why bother BUYING physical books when it's so easy to download e-books for free from the internet? It's like you guys like burning your money.
>>
Say goodbye to that when Russia's EMP fries it, civilian
>>
Because nothing beats the feel of a crisp book in the hands, or that wave of glue and printer ink you get when you open a brand new one.

You can't line the walls of your house with e-books poorfag.
>>
>>8458053
There is no denying, you can carry a whole library on those things, switch between books easily, can read in the dark, etc.
But..
There is no denying that, for alot of people, reading physical book is way better, and also, owning a nice copy of your favorite books is pretty nice.

If you really do not want to "burn your money", why don't you just read from your cellphone, like I do sometimes? And also, its like you don't even know something called second-hand books, with the price of that device you can buy ALOT of classics that no one gives a shit to these days.
>>
>>8458069
"i must visually display my literature taste in my living quarters!!! how else are my guests going to think i'm smart. "
>>
Why bother living in a house when you can live in a shack for virtually nothing?
>>
>>8458055
This.
Good luck trying to find a L'etranger e-book on the post-apocalyptic american wasteland
>>
>>8458085
4chan has a quotation arrows you know.
>>
>>8458119
you mean

>meme arrows
>>
>>8458053
I do this but I'm a third world poorfag
I would love to have pshysical copies
>>
>>8458053
This.
If had to buy the books i read, i wouldn't read as many as i have. And i couldnt get books in english or french by buying them.
Only negative thing is that you lose the pleasure of having a nice full bookshell. But that's not mportant.
>>8458083
Reading in a cellphone is a pain in the ass. E-readers arent that expensive either
>>
>>8458172
Well, I managed to read some books in my cellphone, books that I didn't find/want to buy, and here in my country, that shit is REALLY expensive
>>
>>8458055
>not having a faraway cage for your stack of nooks
>>
>>8458240
Kek here in my country they don't even sell them. I took a chance when i went to usa to order it on amazon
>>
>>8458053
>I have never taken an economics class in my life
>I have no idea whats the consumer preference and why some people consume margarine and some people butter
>>
I swear it's like you guys have never heard of a library
>>
In 20 years I'll still be able to read my print books and you'll have to re-purchase yours a couple times over every time they update the computers and obsolete your old formats.
>>
>tfw waiting for my Kobo Aura One to arrive
>>
File: 1467231520887.jpg (19KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
1467231520887.jpg
19KB, 239x211px
>>8458272
>re-purchase
>purchase
>>
Just for the price of that thing you can get a dozen new or like 50 used books.

You can annotate and highlight, you can easily switch to any page you want (and switch back and forth easily).
>>
>>8458053
The physical aspect and the fact that you bought the book makes it far more likely for many people that they'll end up reading it.
>>
>>8458279
You can get hundreds of thousands of books for free with that thing.
>You can annotate and highlight
You can do that on ereaders.
>>
>>8458053
because physical books don´t need a battery to function. also i can spill liquids on books without ruin them. As Harry Rowolth put it: "The book is the medium of the future"
>>
>>8458283
>because physical books don´t need a battery to function
The battery lasts for 30-50 hours depending on the ereader.
>also i can spill liquids on books without ruin them
There are waterproof ereaders.
>>
>>8458053
in the most cases, if you digitally purchase books, you aren´t the rightfully owner of the text, whilst physically purchasing it you are.
>>
I like using my e-reader for reading and buying the physical copy so I can post in "show your book shelf" threads.
>>
>>8458283
My e-reader battery lasts for days. It's never been a problem for me
>>
>>8458288
As I said >>8458083
For alot of people, the little joys of reading is the touch, the smell of the books, turning the pages and watch the progress with the book mark.

You are bringing all the good aspects of ereaders, which one cannot denie, but your are also 'not seeing' the fact that people have different tastes,
>>
>>8458288
>The battery lasts for 30-50 hours depending on the ereader.
my book lasts forever

also the sun can cause the electronics to malfunction. how do i read in the sun?
>>
>>8458300
I was just pointing out lies.
>>
>>8458299
my book lasts forever
>>
guys you're all fucking idiots. e-readers are cool but studies show that retention is significantly improved when reading a physical medium.

let me say it again: e-readers are cool but you're fucking poor losers if you have to act elitist about it. if you're reading a book for serious study, a physical copy should be a necessity.

fucking children
>>
>>8458302
>lasts forever
Have fun with your smelly yellow paper.
>also the sun can cause the electronics to malfunction. how do i read in the sun?
The internals are protected much better than in smartphones and tablets. E-ink screens can handle heat much better than regular backlit LCD displays. Besides, it's not like you'll be reading in intense summer heat for longer than a couple of hours and if you do, you're in the minority. I get it, you don't like ereaders, but stop lying.
>>
>>8458269
>Reading books other people have squashed their dicks with

No thanks

Seriously though unless you're in a big city libraries suck. Especially when it comes to translated stuff.
>>
Because I like them more.
>>
>m-muh smell of paper
>>
>>8458335
The smell of paper is a sensory experience that I, and many others, love deeply that cannot be re-created with the lifeless, inorganic plastic and artificial light of an e-reader.
>>
>>8458053
>be unaware of the R-value of a solid bookshelf
>accuse others of burning money
Why quibble over piffles when you're too dumb to read a book anyway?
>>
>>8458281
oh, are you reading hundreds of thousands of books then?
>>
>>8458326
>but stop lying
i just asked a question
>>
File: cliff.jpg (356KB, 1000x650px) Image search: [Google]
cliff.jpg
356KB, 1000x650px
An important factor that someone once mentioned: physical books exist in space and time. They sit in your bookshelf or bedroom table. They stare at you. They invite you to read them. And once you did, they hang around to remind you of the experience. You can pick them up, browse them around, re-read parts of them. Unless you lend them or give them away, which is a pretty nice thing to do. They age and decay. It's pretty impressive to see a book you bought for yourself sixteen years ago, a very important book that changed your life, and notice how brown and perfumed the pages have turned, which used to be so white and clear. Beware, I'm all for digital reading. I used to read on a shitty mp4 player back in 2006. And I read in several generations of phones until I got my e-reader, which I still use to this very day. But for certain titles it's nice to have the physical copy, to enhance the experience. I feel with digital books that I easily lose track of them. Which one's I've read, and when. It's like they don't exist. And they physically don't. There's no trace of them in your daily life.
Lastly, the 'bragging' part. Let's settle this. Humans are social creatures. We watch tv shows that our friends watch. It's nice to talk about Stranger Things or whatever is the new hot tv show, with friends, acquaintances, or the pretty girl you just met. And yes, if you bring a girl home, or you invite people over for pizza, there's nothing wrong with letting her see what literature you're into. She might be into it too, or at least be interested in it, and that could lead to a lot of interesting conversations. I'm OK with this.
So yeah, I do a bit of both.
>>
>>8458323

>im a pseud with shit memroy
>>
>>8458376
Well said, my friend.

My dad gave me an old Robinson Crusoé book, a 1986 The Godfather book and other minor titles that he owned for quite a long time, and those books I have to this day, and they are of great value to me.
I can't imagine that happening when a dude owns only a pile of old non-functioning eletronic devices.
>>
File: goblin.png (145KB, 280x417px) Image search: [Google]
goblin.png
145KB, 280x417px
>>8458376
dumb goblinposter
>>
>>8458420
That's because you have assigned value to the book, I have exchanged e-books with friends for years now and never found any problem, everything is just in a e-mail, it's way more easy than to give or lend a book
>>
>>8458140
and he never posted again
>>
>>8458053
>he doesn't enjoy going into second-hand bookstores and finding a good book

LOL
>>
>>8458460
this is a rare thing. At least in my town, second hand bookstores are absolute SHIT. NOTHING worth picking up even free of charge
>>
>e book
>want to flip to a page real quick
>click a button or press the screen ad infinitum
>hope that you get there before the second coming of Christ
>>
>not doing both
>>
Fuck all of you cunts replying to the same bait thread that has been posted multiple times a week for years.
>>
>>8458493
that's the fun part
>>
File: 1472122692676.jpg (83KB, 1500x940px) Image search: [Google]
1472122692676.jpg
83KB, 1500x940px
...cause I like to read physical books? Maybe I like to hold a real book?
>>
>>8458360
Are you?
>>
>>8458536
well, it generates genuine discussions, so fuck off
>>
>>8458612
It's the same discussion every time. You fuck off.
>>
>>8458349
Do books really have a decent r value? If I lined my cabin with books could I survive the winter?
>>
File: 1450389191396.jpg (61KB, 680x591px) Image search: [Google]
1450389191396.jpg
61KB, 680x591px
>>8458685
Have alot of warm and comfy books, like Meditations
>>
>>8458053
>sheeple will buy $1 songs off itune
>sheeple will buy books because "MUH SMELL!!!" "MUH PHYSICAL PAGES!!!"
>sheeple will not invest their money into bitcoins or other asset class.

Let the sheeple stay pleb.
>>
>>8458420
It's also nice to think the life your library child have after death. Will your literary progeny take it for themselves? Will your books scatter around the city after being sold by a used book store? Will other people cherish them?
>>
>>8458705
not that guy, but yes, indeed. To think of all the books that I started my lit journey with, in my parents house, as a kid and teenager, that marked my life. To leave that for somebody. Even if you're a loner and never have kids. You can leave them to your favorite nephew or to a friend. Such a wonderful legacy
>>
>>8458323
>physical medium.
>a physical copy should be a necessity
>if you have to act elitist about it
>fucking children

Its like you are willfully acting stupid
>>
>>8458323
>he reads to retain

looks like someone is too pleb to live in the moment
>>
>>8458685
Yes, just look at Pentii: >>8451871
>>
only find myself reading short stories on the kindle these days. never like to stick to a single-author's stories, it's good for jumping around. used to jump around on novels, too, had trouble managing that, have returned to paper. for whatever reason never got into plays on the kindle. maybe it was all the button-pushing, i use a big font.
>>
>>8458083
>There is no denying that, for alot of people, reading physical book is way better, and also, owning a nice copy of your favorite books is pretty nice.
I have never understood this.

Just from an aesthetic standpoint, ebooks are so much fucking better. The pages are clearer, and it has this kind of matt dullness which looks deliciously bookish. And then there's the matter of it being sci-fi as fuck, if you're into that.

Books are good too, though.
>>
Sure is /r/books in here.

>>8458376
That's a pretty unique problem, anon.
>>8458323
e-books are a physical medium. There's literally no difference between an ebook page and a normal page.
>>8458360
More than fifty, that's for certain.
>>
>>8458794
>There's literally no difference between an ebook page and a normal page.
I'm a poorfag with an e-reader and we all know this isn't true fám

personally, it's a different feeling as you turn the page of a 'physical' book compared to just tapping the screen of an e-reader and usually encourages me to continue reading
>>
>>8458850
>I'm a poorfag with an e-reader and we all know this isn't true fám
It is literally true. It's not electronic, despite the name -- unless you've turned the light on, it's just the same as a normal, physical page.

The page thing is just booksniffer bullshit.
>>
>>8458764
this
Literature is about the experience, the journey. If you go into to a book looking to get something out of it you're just another pseud.
>>
>>8458857
but that literally isn't true, and it literally is a different feeling, coming from someone who reads mainly on the paperwhite out of compulsion (either when I can't find a book I like at all or at a reasonable price) and owns a few physical books

nothing wrong with sniffing pages either
>>
>>8458085
Basically, yeah. Everybody works very hard to project an image of themselves and that image can be aspirational. You just did it yourself. By having a bookshelf, you will probably attract people who similarly have bookshelves, just as you probably are surrounded by people who are very critical and condescending of everything. Being critical of affectations is an affectation, which is fine, but don't think that you are any different than everybody else.
>>
>>8458053
>buying an electrical jew
>>
>>8458870
>but that literally isn't true
But it is. Coming from someone who does, in fact, read normal books.

>nothing wrong with sniffing pages either
It's not worth having a physical book.
>>8458897
Why the fuck would I want to attract the kind of person who gives a shit about bookshelves?
>>
>>8458917
you're trying to say you get the same feeling from turning the page of a physical book and tapping the screen of an e-reader

also which fucking e-readers aren't electronic
>>
>>8458922
>you're trying to say you get the same feeling from turning the page of a physical book and tapping the screen of an e-reader
No. That would be retarded.
>also which fucking e-readers aren't electronic
I mean that once a page has loaded, it's purely physical. You're seeing the light reflect off ink, just like on a normal page. It's not shining light at you.

It's electronic, in the same way a robot which turns pages on your book is electronic. The page itself is just a page.
>>
>>8458925
>It's electronic, in the same way a robot which turns pages on your book is electronic.
autism

it's electronic because it uses electricity, without which it couldn't function
I don't know what one you're using but whenever I don't charge mine, it doesn't work
>>
>>8458870
>muh feels

paperbook fedoras should be gassed along side with typewriter, fountainpen and vinyl enthusiasts
>>
>>8458959
go wank to an audiobook you absolute non-heterosexual
>>
>>8458246
Enjoy traveling to a strange and distant land every time you want to read, I'll just stick to my convenient, nearby Faraday cage.
>>
ive got aids
>>
>>8458269
Good luck finding anything worth reading in a public library.
>>
>>8458959
Feels are the foundation of humanity.
>>
>>8458053
First reading on tablet (don't get memed)
Second reading you'll buy the book (put some spare change into the writer's pockets)
>>
File: Lucky Cunt.png (149KB, 207x313px) Image search: [Google]
Lucky Cunt.png
149KB, 207x313px
>>8458968

got him
>>
File: MorrisBooks.jpg (573KB, 976x2237px) Image search: [Google]
MorrisBooks.jpg
573KB, 976x2237px
1. Because if your desired reading list only contains books available in torrents, that's sad. There is endless material not in that format yet.
2. Because e-readers are useless for any book with large-format, illustrations, interesting typography, etc. You're stuck with an impoverished tiny screen, and often horribly garbled formatting.
3. Because I want to read books at my leisure, come back to them without warning months or years later, and have them nearby.
4. Because I might want to loan one to a friend.
5. Because I use them for research, study, and teaching, and don't want to worry about their availability or when they're due.
6. Because if we don't buy books, publishers continue to go out of business, and there won't be any new books.
7. Because books are fabulous, fascinating, beautiful things, and I enjoy them aesthetically as well as for their content.

None of this is to say that e-readers and libraries aren't fantastically useful, but they certainly don't cover all needs.
>>
>>8458280
This is actually pretty compelling. I have about 50 ebooks on my phone and iPad I got for 0 dollars but a shelf full of books I look at every time I'm in my room and I'm way more likely to pick up a book I bought then read an ebook
>>
>>8458909
Kek
>>
File: image.png (81KB, 624x628px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
81KB, 624x628px
>ITT
>>
>>8459374
who the fuck is william morris ?
>>
>>8459710
The 19th century's foremost interior designer.
>>
>>8458258
I bought a kindle from ebay. Downloading la broma infinita in kindle format instead of physical paid the entire shipping fee. (Still bought the physical though)
>>
>>8459374
go the fuck back to Redd: the it with your real arguments
>>
>>8458053
Some of us just enjoy the look/feel/smell of actual paper books. Another big reason is the lack of color e-readers...
>>
>>8458498
I've abandoned my Kindle for this reason. It's impractical and clunky-feeling. It gives the illusion of better, more convenient, more comfortable reading, but in reality it slows your reading down, reduces your reading comprehension, and if you frequently take notes you will notice your Kindle slowing down to the point where opening the menu is an arduous 45-second wait. I've owned the thing for two years and have read maybe a dozen books on it where I can't remember the plot, characters names, title, author. There seems to be something inherent in the device itself or its concept that creates a bad environment for reading comprehension. I'll admit that there are books on my shelf that I've forgotten key parts of (mostly books I didn't care for anyway), but it is nothing compared with the absolute void of a response I would give to you if you were to ask for a summary or opinion of what I've read on my e-reader.

The e-reader is a solution looking for a problem.

Publishing companies hate them, the general public seems to have lost interest (it was predicted that by this time e-books would be half of all sales but they are still less than a quarter and have flatlined or fallen), and they are plagued with problems that haven't improved in the nearly 10 years of their existance.
>>
e-readers will never be cool, the literary equivalent if vaping.
>>
>>8459783
Also a hipster, but before it was cool.
>>8459374
Go back to Redd: the it with your reddit-tier stockholm syndrome.

Also
>reading modern books
>>8458498
It's significantly faster than actually turning a page.
>>
>>8460150
>I've owned the thing for two years and have read maybe a dozen books on it where I can't remember the plot, characters names, title, author. There seems to be something inherent in the device itself or its concept that creates a bad environment for reading comprehension.
Weird, I've never noticed anything like this, I don't think I've forgotten a single title I've read on my Kindle.
Then again, I always had a very good attention span and much better than average reading comprehension. Maybe the e-book is only for those worthy of it.

>>8458085
lmao I've got a big, full bookshelf and no one has visited me in like, 2 years, suck that
>>
>>8460577
maybe turning a single page, maybe two or three

but flipping through 50 pages is a lot faster on physical books
>>
>>8460600
How the shit is flipping through 50 pages faster than scrolling through the whole book on a kindle?

And that's assuming they don't just have a contents page, allowing you to go anywhere without searching.
>>
>>8460604
if you know the page you want, you can just jump there w/ kindle, of course

but if you want to search for a part and don't know where it is (and can't use the search function for some reason)

then the physical book is faster to skim through
>>
>>8460610
Why? There's a scroll-bar thing that goes faster than physically flipping.
>>
File: 1472295729412.png (17KB, 500x143px) Image search: [Google]
1472295729412.png
17KB, 500x143px
>>8458053
Books are cheap.
>>
>>8460635
E-books are cheaper, and easier.
>>
File: 970940.png (338KB, 620x417px) Image search: [Google]
970940.png
338KB, 620x417px
>>8460663
Easier? No. Cheaper, maybe. But the only books I would buy I can read on the computer anyway so an e-reader is just completely useless. I could listen to audiobooks too so what's the point in this /lit/ meme where they do this topic every week at least? e-readers are just shit.
>>
>>8460666
>downloading a book is harder than going to a bookstore and manually searching for it, hoping they've even got it
Sure, anon.
>I can read on the computer anyway
Spoken like a true NEET. Glaring screens <<< e-ink.
>>
>>8460668
>downloading a book is harder than going to a bookstore and manually searching for it, hoping they've even got it
Who says anything about a fucking bookstore? Just order it online and you'll have it in your mailbox.
>Spoken like a true NEET. Glaring screens <<< e-ink.
Then buy a better monitor.
>>
>>8460674
I assumed you weren't retarded enough to think waiting for a book to arrive was less work than instantly getting it.

>then buy a better monitor
Anon, all monitors do this.
>>
>>8460678
Why would "wating" be a problem if you already have a thousand books to read? And again, you can just download it and read it on your 144hz monitor than buying a useless e-reader which will stop working in 14 months.
>>
>>8460689
>Why would "wating" be a problem if you already have a thousand books to read?
Why would you be buying a book if you already had a thousand books to read?
>And again, you can just download it and read it on your 144hz monitor
If you don't value your eyes and are a literal NEET, sure.
>>
>>8460691
>Why would you be buying a book if you already had a thousand books to read?
Because I'm a bookworm. I've already read thousands of books in my life.
>If you don't value your eyes
Do you still live in the 80s? Monitors are great now.
>>
>>8460699
>Because I'm a bookworm. I've already read thousands of books in my life.
So you presumably understand why you wouldn't want to wait, then?

Otherwise, your argument just falls apart.
>Do you still live in the 80s? Monitors are great now.
They're nowhere near the level of an ebook. And no, they're not great for reading.
>>
>>8460666
>e-readers are just shit.
top kek

I'm not saying either is necessarily better but that kind of attitude is absolutely retarded

>>8460691
screens don't damage your eyes

but e-ink is still much nicer to read for long periods of time due to having no backlight, it causes less eye strain and so on

>>8460689
>buying a useless e-reader which will stop working in 14 months.
my e-reader cost less than 100 euros

if it broke in 14 months after buying it, it'd still have paid itself back by saving money on books - because if I am to be honest, I am not going to read that many books on my laptop

plus holy shit do you even like reading if you're not willing to put some money into a comfortable experience as opposed to reading from a normal screen

its nice to avoid buying (physical) books that I'm not a big fan of, I'd rather have 300 big favorites in my shelf than 500 favorites in the shelf and five big boxes of books I want to get rid of
>>
>>8460707
>Otherwise, your argument just falls apart.
How? I can read other books. And the book takes literally 1-2 days to arrive, not one week.
>And no, they're not great for reading.
Oh really. And how much money did you spend on your monitor? Seriously, monitors used to be shit at this sort of thing but in the last few years they've improved a ton. Plus, it can do everything else, play music in the background and so on. An e-reader is useless if you already have a computer.
>>
>>8460718
>I can read other books
Yes.

You can.

Do you see my point?

Have you actually used an ebook before? The difference between the two is huge. And yes, I've got a very new, expensive monitor.
>>
>>8460723
>Do you see my point?
What's your point, anon? Seriously. An ereader is just useless technology.
>Have you actually used an ebook before?
Sure. At the tech shop before it closed down this year.
>And yes, I've got a very new, expensive monitor.
Then what's the problem with reading on a monitor?
>>
>>8458053
Why make this fucking thread again & again & again?
>>
>>8460732
If you can just read other books...you can just read other books. You don't need to buy a new one.
>Then what's the problem with reading on a monitor?
As you must have noticed in that five seconds you got with an ebook, e-ink doesn't shine light into your eyes. It's just like a normal page. Meanwhile, monitor screens do shine lights into your eyes, which sucks.
>>
>>8460741
This.

It especially matters when reading before bed. Shining light into your eyes before (trying to) go to sleep really sucks.
>>
>>8460150
Part of the problem with kindles is that there is no longer any ritual to the reading. Its so light weight and small its essentially a tablet or a phone. You can whip it out anytime, anywhere and read. There is no gravity or care taken to like you need with a book.

However, having said that I think for the most part I retain the information better once I read it on my kindle (this is coming from a guy who reads both). Probably fr that exact reason: That my ritual has changed to accommodate the kindle.
>>
>>8460741
>You don't need to buy a new one.
There's this cool little thing you kids might not know about. It's called "not available" and you'll have to pay more money for it later.
>Meanwhile, monitor screens do shine lights into your eyes, which sucks.
Is your fancy new computer CRT? IPS feel fine to me. Especially 144hz which feels even better.
> It's just like a normal page
Except you can't turn it and there's no feeling to it at all your computer can do the same thing. I'm going to leave it at that. A great monitor kills e-readers and it can do other things. An e-reader just feels like a good way to make money out of morons to be honest.
>>
>>8460750
>there is no longer any ritual
This is advanced bait.
>>
>>8460754
>There's this cool little thing you kids might not know about. It's called "not available" and you'll have to pay more money for it later.
I legitimately don't know what you're talking about. I just download books when I want them, see.
>IPS feel fine to me
Then you have special eyes. ebooks literally sell on this fact, you can't just pretend it doesn't exist. It's like saying a 3DS isn't in 3D; that's the whole marketing angle.
>Except you can't turn it
A good thing, because ebooks are faster than turning pages.
>and there's no feeling to it
There absolutely is, not that it matters -- only the most retarded of pseuds would think the "feeling" matters.
>your computer can do the same thing
Except it can't.

It sounds like you just don't have any experience with ebooks, to be honest.
>>
>>8460761
>I legitimately don't know what you're talking about.
Once you read books that aren't written by Rowling and King you might come across this problem. Plus, it's about the size. An e-reader is small and certain books are humongous. They're printed in limited quantities because they cost a lot to print.
>Then you have special eyes.
No, monitors have just improved in the last few years and they keep getting better.
>only the most retarded of pseuds would think the "feeling" matters.
Of course it matters.
>It sounds like you just don't have any experience with ebooks, to be honest.
Oh, yes. Those exclusive e-readers are so hard to come by. Such advanced technology. Much wow.
>>
>>8460770
>Once you read books that aren't written by Rowling and King you might come across this problem
Sick burn, bro.
>Plus, it's about the size. An e-reader is small and certain books are humongous.
I've got many long (1'000 page +) books on my kindle, anon.
>No, monitors have just improved in the last few years and they keep getting better.
I'm using a monitor right now, anon. I know you're bullshitting.
>of course it matters
And of course you're a pseud. I've never seen someone not like ebooks and not also be a pseud.
>Much wow.
Jesus Christ. This really is /r/books.
>>
>>8460772
>I've got many long (1'000 page +) books on my kindle, anon.
That wasn't what I was talking about. I guess it went over your head.
>I know you're bullshitting
People can prefer not wasting their money on an e-reader or just prefer reading books to using tech which isn't even necessary in the first place.
>And of course you're a pseud. I've never seen someone not like ebooks and not also be a pseud.
Sigh.
>>
>>8460790
>That wasn't what I was talking about. I guess it went over your head.
Why don't you explain what you were talking about, then, anon? Surely you must have been talking about something. You're not back-pedalling, are you?
>People can prefer not wasting their money on an e-reader or just prefer reading books to using tech which isn't even necessary in the first place.
An amazing argument. People can also prefer not wasting their money on an expensive monitor or just prefer reading ebooks to using tech which is unnecessarily expensive, clunky and old-fashioned.
>sigh
You are not helping your case.
>>
>>8460800
>Why don't you explain what you were talking about, then, anon?
E-readers can't do SIZE. Get it? Size. S I Z E. I wasn't talking about the amount of pages.
>People can also prefer not wasting their money on an expensive monitor
Yeah, I did mention books, too.
>to using tech which is unnecessarily expensive, clunky and old-fashioned.
HAHAHAHAHA
>You are not helping your case.
Whatever you say, Reddit. I'm done here.
>>
>>8458053
>2016
>not just reading the wikipedia article
>>
>>8458116
Yeah, all that paper will be totally safe from being destroyed.
>>
>>8458053
Because I'm not a humanities fag and have discretionary spending money for my passions
>>
>>8460814
>E-readers can't do SIZE. Get it? Size. S I Z E. I wasn't talking about the amount of pages.
...What is the difference, anon? Are you looking at picture-books?
>Yeah, I did mention books, too.
You missed the point utterly.
>HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
>I'm done here
Yes you are.
>>
>>8458279
uh, no

you can buy used kindles for 30-60 euros/usd (so cheap that I've paid more for a single book)

mine cost 50

thats 2-3 books or maybe 5-6 if used
>>
>>8458323
>if you're reading a book for serious study, a physical copy should be a necessity.
I would actually put my money on the option that it is the exact opposite of this.

If you're serious, you can read from wherever the fuck. A serious reader is interested and focused. They won't be rekt by a different medium. They'll re-read and make notes, they'll think about what they read, the medium won't fuck a process like that up.

If you're reading casually though... You know, the studies, they were done on random people who mostly had no experience reading e-books, who knows whether they were even avid readers. I can imagine that for people like that, the experience may be drastically different.
>>
>>8460965
Yeah, but note-making is significantly easier with a physical book than an ebook. A paperwhite, at least.
>>
>>8460844
This guy gets it
>>
>>8460955
>you can buy used kindles for 30-60 euros/usd

Those are the shitty old ones with low dpi, they look like crap.
>>
>>8461075
As opposed to used books, in the gleaming, crisp condition they always aren't?
>>
I really dislike that you have to create an account to buy/download books. If I didn't have to do that or stick to one service then I would buy an e-reader.
>>
>>8461075
you sure? have you tried one? I really can't tell much of a difference if its 800x600 on 6" or better (= all e-readers)
(when I'm actually reading it rather than looking at it really close)

its 167 PPI
you computer monitor is likely something like 100, does it look that bad to you when viewing text? though true, you do look at the kindle much closer, but nonetheless

anyway, especially if we ignore the "kindle" part, plenty of cheap used ones have a 1024x768 screen
>>
>shopping
>>
>>8461085
>I really dislike that you have to create an account to buy/download books
You don't have to. You can simply transfer your files via USB.
>>
>>8461778
Where would you get them from though?
>>
>>8462005
libgen.
>>
>>8458053
The screen on mine fucking broke so I'm waiting til I go back to my home-country so I can buy one while in a less precarious financial position and, thereby, one that's also not shit.
>>
>>8458085
I also just like too look at it - and, if you're an academic, it's a lot handier and more enjoyable to have books you might like to cite or check available right there on your walls. Sure, in theory, you could have every one of them on your device and just check it there, but I find that has a negative effect on comprehension and concentration.
>>
>>8462005
legally:
straight fromt he publishers (actually nice as heck when available, they tend to be less DRM'd)
libraries

illegally:
libgen or what.cd or bookz or whatever (libgen is probably the one with the best selection)
>>
>>8462032
the real good way is just using both

its great to have those philosophic works which I frequently check again and again in my shelf, no question about that

but its also incredibly nice to not have to worry about price, availability and shipping for all the easily available pirate-able books; it allows me to prioritize my spending more
>>
>>8462082
this, hybrid master race
>>
>>8462032
>but I find that has a negative effect on comprehension and concentration.
How.
>>
>>8462032
>but I find that has a negative effect on comprehension and concentration.
I honestly find it interesting how many people say this, yet I've noticed nothing like that.

Leaves me wondering whether it's because I started using e-books pretty early on or if it is just personal in some other way. Sadly I really can't recall whether my first e-books were somehow worse...

And yes, I absolutely know that my comprehension and concentration are about equal on both forms. There's no way I wouldn't notice it; I've studied on both, I've read fiction on both, I've read non-fiction on both.
>>
>>8459710
As befits the Victorian gentleman once dubbed “half-a-dozen giants,” Morris explored a remarkable breadth of creative endeavor in his life (1834-1896). He was at various times an architect, furniture maker, wallpaper and interior designer, an artist, a writer of poetry, prose, politics and art theory, a leading socialist, co-founder of the second manifestation of the Pre-Raphaelite Movement and of the English Arts and Crafts Movement, a calligrapher and painter, a translator, dyer, glazier, tile-maker, weaver, embroiderer, rug and tapestry-maker, an illuminator and, finally, the printer who began the private press movement in England.
>>
>>8458268

>Implying that the only way to understand economics is to "take a class".

>Implying that people who choose margarine over butter are doing so of their own free will and not for the actual reason which is that they were brainwashed with propaganda to believe it was worthwhile and healthy.
>>
File: IMG_0927.jpg (39KB, 506x285px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0927.jpg
39KB, 506x285px
Can someone please tell me where I can download free EBooks to my phone? /fit/ here and I want to download starting strength by Mark Rippetoe.
>>
>>8458053
Because I want real books to put in my shelf, so that when people come over they see how smart and intellectual I am.
>>
>>8458857

>There's literally no difference between an ebook page and a normal page

>It's literally true.

I don't think you understand what "literally" means. It is literally NOT true that an e-ink display on a plastic electronic device and real ink printed on a piece of paper are the same. They are very different materials. One is an e-ink screen, one is made of paper. E-Reader screen, page made from wood pulp. Don't you see the difference? Paper is not the same as the surface that you look at on an E-Reader device. PAPER = DIFFERENT.
>>
>>8462300
Autists like you are not good at context, are they,
>>
>>8458053

Because Im a retard who reads Ebooks slower for some reason. Fuck knows why but i manage to get through physical stuff faster and enjoy it more.
>>
>>8458053
Because I enjoy a physical book. I always get my textbooks for free by having an e-reader and internet access but thats only because I don't enjoy textbooks the way I enjoy books I decide to buy the physical form of.
>>
>>8458917

>But it is. Coming from someone who does, in fact, read normal books.

So you do actually read normal books and yet you still can't grasp the difference between actual paper and an electronic screen? You say they are literally the same thing. Is a metal fork literally the same thing as a ceramic plate because they are both things you eat with?
>>
>>8458925

Do you have brain damage?
>>
File: AUTISM.jpg (21KB, 620x272px) Image search: [Google]
AUTISM.jpg
21KB, 620x272px
>>8462326
>>8462332
A U T I S M

Insofar as it was relevant in context, it was literally true. But even failing that, which would be obvious to the mentally normal, pic related applies.
>>
>>8458329
>>8458977
lol
Here is full list of work i got from public library in my city
plato - phaedo
plato - republic
witkacy - insatiability
polish poetry compilation
burgess - a clockwork orange (in original)
goethe - faust
proust - swanns way
plato - eutyphro, symposium, sophist
gogol - dead souls
toole - confederancy of dunces
dante - divine comedy
hamsun - hunger
joyce - a portrait of artist as a young man
melville - moby dick
nalkowska - the frontier
sienkiewicz - deluge
camus - the plague
kuncewiczowa - the stranger
tuwim - poetry
zeromski - springtime
kafka - the trial
cervantes - don quijote
mickiewicz - pan tadeusz
herbert - dune
vonnegut - slaughterhouse number 5
carroll - kissing the beehive
joyce - ulysses
card - ender game, speaker of dead
burgess - a clockwork orange
cortazar - hopscotch
dick - three stigmata, ubik
strugaccy - roadside picnic
miller - tropic of capricorn
kosinski - steps

So those are all not wort reading, i guess? And you must buy all books you want to read i guess? Reconsider your values you capitalist swine
>>
>>8460968
This is the biggest difference that matters
>>
I like being able to go back re-read passages easily. I find I retain information better if I have a physical copy and am more likely to start reading in the first place. I like sitting in my garden in the sun with a book, a kindle seems more function than pleasure to me.

Readers definitely have their place though - I'm buying a kindle before I next go travelling as the space you save makes it a no brainer imo.
>>
They don't have Mein Kampf at the library and I wouldn't want a physical copy as evidence desu
>>
>>8462350
Your library is significantly better than mine, then. The library in my area has probably none of those except Plato.
>>
>>8462115
>a leading socialist
Dropped.
>>
>>8462350
I tend to look for shorter books to read in the library, for longer ones I tend not to loan them because i'll end up forgeting and then they want my buckaroos because I forget to renew.
>>
>>8458279
Got a paperwhite for $30 bucks
>>
>>8460455
This
>>
>>8460955
>5-6 if used
I get used books for £2-£3
>>
i have an ereader and i also buy brand new physical books for their full price. there's pros and cons to both.

ereader i can get everything free. it was a present to begin with so i didn't have to pay a bean even to get it. it's discreet and light, get a case and it's easy to keep in top physical condition. can read in the pitch dark.

physical paperbacks are roughly £9 a pop here, but there's nothing nicer than heading to a bookstore and picking out a handful of books to buy. the smell, the feel, and because i'm super anal about keeping them in perfect condition, not creasing spines etc. i can go home and create my own perfect little library. i can collect books of the same edition (penguin modern classics & vintage red spine ones are my faves) and have them all sit uniform on my shelf. i'll be able to have them forever and pass them on to whoever i like. i also can read in the bath pretty worry-free.

i also wear specs and physical books are a lot easy to read for me. i only have slightly bad eyesight but i wear glasses to read and no matter what the brightness is at on my paperwhite i always get a slight glare relecting in my glasses and therefore it makes the text clearer not to use them. whereas a physical book i can just bang my specs on and it's clear as day.
>>
>tfw my kindle broke :(
>>
File: 1447505445479.png (377KB, 600x635px) Image search: [Google]
1447505445479.png
377KB, 600x635px
>>8458053
Already doing it senpai. Too bad its not kindle, just a Huawei something tablet so its a little bulky.

I'd rather have a physical book, but my local library is rather limited for English literature, even though their selection is surprisingly good.
Fuck buying them. Don't feel like paying out of my ass to get a book in English, when I'm not even sure if I would like it.
>>
>>8458053
I enjoy reading physical books more. I don't know why, but I do. This is especially true for novels. I have both an e-reader (which I use regularly) and physical books though.
>>
>>8458053
I use a kindle paperwhite, but if I really enjoyed the book and will likely re-read it a few times, I buy the hardcover version.
>>
>>8462272
go on bookzz.org and use itunes or whatever to put it onto your phone.
>>
>go to class
>retards with e-book versions of textbooks
>never formatted correctly
>never can hold a finger in one place and flip to another for a quick reference
>yfw pell grant pays for books and I sell them back for free money from the government
inb4 its not free, it is for me, i dont make enough to file taxes

>>8460817
thanks Tai Lopez
>>
>>8462350
>plato - phaedo
more like plato - pseudo
amirite
>>
>>8462032

I find the opposite. I like physical books for sentimental reasons but for learning purposes I feel like e-books are just objectively superior.

The ability to CTRL F search and highlight (without permanence) and have all your highlights listed beside the text is too good for me to be able to pass up. Same with being able to search terms by highlighting them / the vocab builder. The utility of e-readers trumps the enjoyment of physical books for me.
>>
what site do you guys to get free books on your e reader? I'm old, not sure how torrenting works.
>>
>>8465746
look ma he did it again
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8458053
I wouldn't have bought this monster if it didn't look so nice and is a nice finisher for my lovecraft collection
>>
>>8465948
I've wanted to pick that up a few times, but every time I see it it's selling for more than 40 ameribucks, and as much as I love having books on my shelf, I can't justify that.
>>
Reading e-books fucking drains the life out of me. Hurts the hell out of my eyes, fucks with my concentration. Sometimes I feel like vomiting.

Just with actual books tho. I can read this page just fine. Don't know what the fuck is wrong with me. I think its because I concentrate more when I'm reading a book.

So I stick with the best; good old physical paper. Plus, its a lot more aesthetic. I like having a full bookshelf and being able to easily lend books to friends.
>>
>>8466058
I stood at waterstones in England for about 5 minutes picking it up and looking at it trying to justify it. Eventually I did with holy shit it looks amazing I want it. The pictures are nice the feel is good.
>>
These dickweeds want the qt 3.14 across on the train to know what book they're pretending to read.
>>
>>8466081
That's a very specific and unusual problem you have there. Do you also have it when you read something on other displays?
>>
>>8462350
God, just thinking about all the inadvertent dickings those books have taken over the years makes me queasy.
>>
>when u have all your books backed up on stone >tablets and just lay back and snicker at all the >plebs frolicking in the husk of this unamusing >thread
>>
By far my biggest gripe with my Kindle wince I got it is seeing how big a book is. At first there were handy little progress bars at the bottom of each book's thumbnail that showed visually how much you've read and how much there is to go. Kinda like a real book.

But now this gay shit updated a while back and that feature is gone, and I have to resort to [loc 450 of 3509]. Fuck this gay shit.
>>
Posting in a god damn bait thread.

*baka*
>>
>>8458246
>>8458968

I'm dying
>>
>>8460739
Because, much like John Green threads, it is guaranteed to get a lot of replies. Some people need that kind of validation.
>>
>>8458053
I just don't like them.
>>
>>8460750

Kindle Paperwhite - you never have to adjust your lighting - not a single shadow or gradient on the page.

Change the font and size anytime.

A library literally in your pocket.

Sure, a kindle is not as romantic as a book, but what is romanticism.
>>
Well I make more than minimum wage so paying for new books has little to no effect on me. You're a sad little man shit posting on the Internet, I assume you have no income.
>>
File: 1467666838058.jpg (53KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1467666838058.jpg
53KB, 426x426px
>>8458053

Why do you even question such a thing?

HAhahahaha now lets get this pleb! Ahh ahh smack uhh ahhh kick ahhhhh argghh ahh
>>
>>8460750
Fuck yeah, no more holding huge bricks in uncomfortable positions.
E-readers be praised!
>>
>>8458778
If you had ever read a physical book, you would understand.
The smell of the pages, the way they feel, the sound of flipping them, carrying them around and opening it where you had bookmarked it... it all has a distinct nostalgic feeling for book fans that is just not replicated by ebooks. I have way more downloaded epubs and mobis than I have books, for sure, but it's pretty easy to understand why books feel better than "staring at a lit-up screen for hours" just like I do at all hours of the day.
>>
>>8458053
I get both the ebook and physical copy.

Suck it. I have a job.
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.