[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Duolingo the best way to learn a new language? I want to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (26KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
26KB, 500x540px
Is Duolingo the best way to learn a new language? I want to use it to supplement my Spanish that I'm already learning in school
>>
>>8456151

it's a good way to learn up though Spanish 2 in high school. Less use after that, if any.
>>
>>8456165
I'm nearly at a level comparable to AP Spanish and the grammar they have towards the end of the Duolingo course is equal if not more advanced
>>
>>8456151
No, it's not.

Duolingo is good for vocabulary. There's a whole fucking sticky on /int/ about the best ways to learn a given language, go there
>>
Duolingo is the best way to start learning a language, simply because it's fun and encouraging if you're new to language-learning. It won't get you far though. Once you're done with your tree find a good grammar book that includes exercises. When you have a good grasp of the grammar, pick texts that aren't too complicated and read them while using an English translation to help with the harder parts (José Emilio Pacheco and Juan Rulfo are good entry-level authors that you should be able to understand early on).
Also, use Memrise to learn vocabulary, it's incredibly helpful. Every time you encounter a new word, add it to your Spanish course. If you learn 10 words a day you should be able to read most written Spanish in about a year.
>>
>>8456151
Lol no. Try assimil.
>>
Language experts I talked to all say no because it's slow, inefficient.
>>
>>8456443
TOP KEK
O
P
K
E
K
>>
>>8456151
What level Spanish is 2666 by bolaño? It's the one book I'm (currently) interested in reading in Spanish and want to know if I could
>>
>>8457158
Why slow ? How fast you learn only depends on how much you use it.
>>
really disconcerting to learn a language, it takes wayy longer than I expected :.(

Is there a point where it becomes fun and you just know a wohle sentence or just rattle off some language with ease?

I really hope it isn't a struggle until the bitter end
>>
>>8458472
Languages are for communicating with others. Read the news or Spanish 4chan or some shit. It's the same joy of reading/listening as in English, which is to say not much.
>>
>>8456151
Anki is the only way to go. Duolingo is good if you don't know where to start, but you should migrate to Anki once you get off the ground.
>>
>>8456151

>I want to use it to supplement my Spanish that I'm already learning in school

Its very good as a revision tool just to go through a couple of lessons whilst taking a shit or something. Or cramming for an exam with. it somehow made me get high marks in my A2 German exam despite being deathly ill for 90% of the Term/ lessons
>>
>>8458472
you dont actually want to learn the language, you want to know the language. pick a language on its own terms and you'll be much more likely to enjoy learning it and be successful in doing so. if you insist on spanish though, try to become more in tune with the culture surrounding spanish, get a penpal, etc. involve yourself with the language and stop learning inefficiently. sitting down and studying for an hour a day and then never using the language outside of that isn't going to get you very far. you don't learn a language; you live it. when you walk by things in your house, "how do i carpet in spanish?" should pop in your head. you should attempt to translate things, be curious about how to say things and how to use the language. don't put it down after you're done studying. thats my advice
>>
>>8458557
>Spanish 4chan
link me up anyone?
>>
>>8458981
literalyl just google spanish 4chan
>>
>>8458991
Well if it's not a secret I'm not interested. Goodbye, Monsieur!
>>
>>8456151
The "best way"? No. Though it still is helpful.

Duolingo is pretty great for what it is. If you use it with discipline you can gain a good grasp of the language you're learning. With that said, learning a language is a very complex process that cannot be fully covered by something such as an app.

If you really try, I believe you can gain enough knowledge to be able to read at a somewhat competent level, though you will most definitely be lacking when it comes to being able to actually speak the language.

One of the reasons why this is the case is that you do not get the necessary immersion experience that is needed when learning a language. Many people say that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in an environment where others speak it. I believe that without immersion, you will never fully be able to comprehend the language you are learning--never may be too strong of a word, but I really think that this is fundamental to language learning.

To expand further, is that when you are learning, you aren't really getting feedback on the way you are speaking. For example, if you were speaking in an environment where others spoke the language you are trying to learn, many people can correct the many mistakes that you would have in your speech.

Furthermore, it can become very easy to fall into a plateau when learning purely with Duolingo or any other app. You may reach a stage where you are competent in vocabulary but are not able to progress further--this can lead to a lack of motivation with some people. You can pull yourself out of this, but it takes a lot of discipline.

With all of that said, I still think it's a very nice tool when it comes to understanding the basics of a language. If you were to also use books, other study material, and immerse yourself with the language you are learning then it can help out a lot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.