[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What a bitch. She had the nerve to trash Ulysses then goes and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (18KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 181x279px
What a bitch. She had the nerve to trash Ulysses then goes and writes this? She stole all his ideas then trashes him? That is why people hate women my friends.
>>
oh wow, another non-reader faggot with his hot opinions
>>
>>8454343
the only good book by her is "on being ill"
>>
She is one of my favorite writers. When I read her characters I feel like she understands me and humans as a whole.

Btw Dosto is a claptrap journalist
>>
I keep seeing the Woolf on Ulysses memem...Didn't Woolf recant her criticism of it later in life.

Also The Waves in no way rips off Joyce. Everybody and their mutha was streaming consciousness.
>>
>women
>capable of creating anything original

wew lad
>>
>ITT: epic alt-right males who hate womynz online

I bet all of you like a strap-on up the ass and can't even talk to a girl in the street.
>>
>>8454897
>>8454343
Go back to one of those other boards you started in
>>
>>8454907
why would I talk to a girl in the street that sounds dangerous
>>
File: 1470449617783.jpg (657KB, 2328x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1470449617783.jpg
657KB, 2328x3000px
This is half true. Let's set the record straight so we never have to see this shitty thread again.

Woolf did kind of look down on Joyce. She wasn't impressed with Ulysses, we know. I quote from a 1982 NYT article about a joint Woolf/Joyce exposition:

She was in the midst of writing what some Woolf readers consider her own masterpiece, ''Mrs. Dalloway,'' when she wrote in her diary: ''I should be reading 'Ulysses,' and fabricating my case for and against. I have read 200 pages so far - not a third; and have been amused, stimulated, charmed, interested, by the first two or three chapters - to the end of the cemetery scene; and then puzzled, bored, irritated and disillusioned by a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples. Tom, great To m'' - meaning Eliot - ' 'thinks this is on a par with 'War and Peace'! An illiterate, under bred book, it seems to me; the book of a self-taught working man, and we all know how distressing they are, how egotistic, insistent, raw, striking, and ultimately nauseating.'' 'Diffuse,' 'Brackish,' 'Under bred'

Ok. Kind of bitchy, but while idiots like OP want to attribute her bashing to mere envy, (idiots like OP always assume a woman is envious) it was actually because of her classic English snobbery. Woolf had a very good education growing up, and was well connected with academics her entire life. Joyce's beginnings are more humble, and if Woolf despised anything it was the underclass or basically anyone socially beneath her. We praise her for being a modernist and a good example of an academic feminist, but she was human like anyone and therefor prone to prejudice. After reading a lot of her non-fiction, in which she even questions her own snobbery at one point, I believe that is where we draw the conclusion "Woolf hated Joyce" from. She only grudgingly admits the importance of Ulysses later on.

From the article:
''I finished 'Ulysses' and think it is a mis-fire. Genius it has, I think; but of the inferior water. The book is diffuse. It is brackish. It is pretentious. It is under bred, not only in the obvious sense, but in the literary sense."

So, her objections to the book were not from how successful it was, she was just being her snobbish self.
>>
>>8455016
That's just as contemptible, although honestly I think her snobbery is rather charming.
>>
>>8456029
the world needs more snobbery

nothing infuriates me more than the modern backlash against pretension. people are literally afraid to appear intelligent even if they actually are
>>
>>8455016
Good post, only on /lit/, and only rarely.
>>
>>8454360
Mrs Fallow was great, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>8454881
This. Joyce, Faulkner and Woolf were all pioneers of stream of consciousness. Collectively, not co-dependently.
>>
>>8454343
top kek good thing she owned a printing press
>>
>>8454343
Jesus fucking Christ you autists. Woolf wrote one vaguely unflattering diary entry about Ulysses after she read it for the first time. Can you stop pushing this meme?
>>
>>8454343
>being this fraudulent
>>
>>8456029
>I think her snobbery is rather charming.
Hate to admit it but I do too, once in a while. Also I recant my earlier statement attributing her snobbery to being English. I meant to comment on the strict(ish) class distinctions in England, in her time.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.