[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>This book is the synthesis of, on one hand, the no-nonsense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1465017344042.jpg (118KB, 488x866px) Image search: [Google]
1465017344042.jpg
118KB, 488x866px
>This book is the synthesis of, on one hand, the no-nonsense mathematical trader (self-styled "practitioner of uncertainty") who spent his life trying to resist being fooled by randomness and trick the emotions associated with uncertainty and, on the other, the aesthetically obsessed, literature-loving human being willing to be fooled by any form of nonsense that is polished, refined, original, and tasteful. I am not capable of avoiding being the fool of randomness; what I can do is confine it to where it brings some aesthetic gratification.

Anyone else read this guy? He's really enjoyable. Writes on investing, chaos theory, philosophy, theology, the works. Pic related is his exchange with Sam Harris.
>>
>>8453135
i have 3 books by him, i like his writing.Seems like a very clever fellow.
>>
>>8453135
I don't totally hate Harris, but god damn is that picture cringey.
>>
>>8453135
Any particular book? This sounds good. But I just finished reading Julien May. So anything sounds good now.
>>
>>8453135
seems like a rationalist dwelling in formal systems who think he is smarter for not being subjected to emotions.

pure trash
>>
>>8453170
His books are kind of interconnected. That's from "Fooled by Randomness", which is a book on market trading (what he used to do for a living). He develops the theory he espouse there in Black Swan, to apply to things like literature and aesthetics. In Antifragile, he further develops the theory to apply to philosophy, epistemology, theology and society.

The Bed of Procrustes is another book by him, which is just a collection of aphorisms he wrote down, which interconnect with his larger work. It's an "okay" read if you haven't read his other books, mostly just reads like a dime a dozen self-help sayings, but it's much better in the context of his larger philosophy. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've read his other books and want something to snack on.
>>
>>8453210
He's not a rationalist at all, he thinks formal systems tend to be shit and says the Nobel Prize for economics should be abolished. He is actually a practicing Orthodox Christian, but he said why he adheres to the religion is anyone's guess, it's like asking why you married a woman, you come up with rationalization later, but it's not a sincere motive; he offers that maybe it was the scent of the candles. He also maintains that practice is the only validator of faith, and that belief on its own is "just verbiage", comparing it to opinion polls on products verses consumer choice in the market.
>>
>>8453225
*versus
>>
>>8453135
I don't like his style at all and think that 90% of his books are worth skipping over.

But to have 10% be good is still pretty good, so he's alright but highly flawed
>>
>Thinking that all individuals pursue “selfish” interests is equivalent to assuming that all random variables have zero covariance.
Stirner BTFO
>>
File: Taleb pepe.png (192KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Taleb pepe.png
192KB, 499x499px
>>8453135
I read The Black Swan, he had some insighful points but he really could have delivered more on the technical aspects.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.