[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it necessary to read the Tractatus to understand Wittgenstein's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Wittgenstein.jpg (55KB, 701x559px) Image search: [Google]
Wittgenstein.jpg
55KB, 701x559px
Is it necessary to read the Tractatus to understand Wittgenstein's ideas? I heard that he refutes a lot of his previous arguments in the Philosophical Investigations. Also, what should I have read before reading Witt in order to understand him? How much logic should I know?
>>
>>8453118
Just be autistic
>>
>>8453127
t-thanks
>>
>>8453118
It's useful to read the tract in that W provides you with a crystalline and perfectly distilled articulation of the predominant theory of language that guided philosophers since Augustine, maybe even Plato. So if you want a snapshot of the edifice philosophers of language built up over millennia, read the tract. It was momentously influential and it sets you up to understand the tradition that later W will be at pains to reveal as calcified, and insufficiently rich to explain the nature of language.

In the PI, W basically shits on the pretty picture he painted in the T, and starts from scratch, looking to the phenomena, looking to actual uses of language, instead of to detached philosophical theories, to explain language.

You need a fair bit of logic to really get a handle on the tract. Not so much with the PI. The PI, more than anything, takes commitment, though, like reading kant and heidegger. Because of how subversive Ws project is, you can't understand him by placing him somewhere else in the philosophical tradition, relative to previous thinkers. You need to learn to play by his rules to see what he sees about language in the PI.
>>
>>8453118
>Is it necessary to read Wittgenstein's ideas to understand Wittgenstein's ideas?
>>
>>8453378
I've certainly read his books. But how does one read ideas?
>>
>>8453118
>I heard that he refutes a lot of his previous arguments in the Philosophical Investigations
That's a meme. It's way more nuanced than that. You have to read both to fully understand him.
>>
>>8453341
What about B&BB?
>>
>>8453504
This.

A lot of allegedly smart academics read TLP and will know if asked that throwing the ladder away is something akin to "the way of thinking that got me here doesn't make sense/isn't consistent with itself but the important thing is that it got me here", but will then go "PI has very different and incompatible with parts of TLP and is therefore refuting TLP". But TLP is entirely self inconsistent!
>>
>Is it necessary to read the Tractatus to understand Wittgenstein's ideas? I heard that he refutes a lot of his previous arguments in the Philosophical Investigations.
that's a determinate negation and you would know it if you had done your duty, start with Hegel's phenomenology (or the greeks)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.