[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in Christianity. I've only ever been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 874.jpg (93KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
874.jpg
93KB, 500x750px
I'm interested in Christianity. I've only ever been exposed to Christianity from a Protestant perspective, and the only Bible I've owned was a NIV translation I got at school.

What translation should I read? Why?
What other sources should I read while or before I read the Bible? Why?

>Go ask /pol/ and /lit/'s shitty offspring
No
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 520x390px
>>8451351
Latin vulgate would be best, if you can, but I do the new american version, which can be rough at times. Douay-Rheims is also recommended. The only other book that I strongly recommend for a beginner is Augustine's confessions, but Pope Benedict XVI has some excellent writings.
>>
>>8451351
>What translation should I read?
A translation approved by the Catholic Church.
>Why?
Because is the one true church, that keeps the fullness of truth.
>>
File: tips Christian morality.jpg (21KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
tips Christian morality.jpg
21KB, 474x528px
>>8451351

>I'm interested in Christianity.
>>
>translations
>>
>>8451351
Chesterton.
>>
>>8451351
Read the Catholic Catechism

It's basically tract for priests and converts that covers the accumulated precepts which compose the doctrinal beliefs of the Catholic church---as a Protestant I think you'll find it pretty interesting. It's also very accessible and contains footnotes to the biblical passages and church councils from which the doctrine was derived.
>>
>>8451402

>Because is the one true church, that keeps the fullness of truth.

>actually condemned people for not following their earthly, heretical, legalistic ways

NOPE.avi
>>
>>8451392
What about Meditations?

Also, how recommended is it to use a book that's really old/might fall apart?
>>
File: image.jpg (928KB, 1211x1161px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
928KB, 1211x1161px
>>8451487
As in marcus aurelius? Personally I love it, and am preparing to buy a loeb copy. I'd reccomend it, but there is a lot more to Christianity than it seems on the surface level. To have a strong faith, which many people struggle with, you need understanding of the religion, which encompasses memorization of verses, the topics of the trinity, the natures of christ, mosaic law, the prophets, debated history behind the bible, prophesy, and especially interpretation. So, I'd recommend the book, but if you rush through the Bible, only read it once, or read it without other books by theologians and various christian writers, it is very easy to fall away from the religion.

Don't worry too much about the state of the book. As long as you can currently read it, it's fine, but do what you please.

And also, for extra advice, don't forget to pray.
>>
What aspect of Christianity are you most interested in?
>>
>>8451516
As in Augustine -- the book's called The Meditations of St. Augustine. I only found this
>https://archive.org/details/piousbrathingsbe00augu
>>
>>8451547
Haven't read it, but go ahead. You might like this site too:
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/
>>
NIV is a pretty good translation for grasping doctrine. it can also be helpful to read with a concordance nearby.
>>
>>8451351
City of God, Confessions by Augustine
Selected Works of Thomas Aquinas
Jesus of Nazareth and Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
Europe and Faith, Great Heresies by Hilaire Belloc
Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
History of Philosophy, Volumes I, II, Aquinas by Freddrick Copleston
Aquinas, Edward Feser
Essay on Development of Christian Doctrine by John Henry Newman
Orthodoxy, Heretics by G.K. Chesterton
Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton
Silence by Shusaku Endo
>>
>>8451475
>Wants to refute theological truth with MUH INQUISITION
>Confusing infallibility with absence of sin
>In 2016

Read something pleb
>>
File: Bread Pill.png (548KB, 640x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bread Pill.png
548KB, 640x1000px
>>8451351
>>
File: Advanced bread pill.png (3MB, 2560x2739px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced bread pill.png
3MB, 2560x2739px
>>
>>8451351

>rinsing pasta

RREEEEEE
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.