[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think Grossman picks books to translate based on their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Do you think Grossman picks books to translate based on their merit, or is she just a hired gun?

Going through her translations many of my favorite latin and spanish books were translated by her, was wondering if this list is useful as a portal towards other spanish language /lit/
>>
>>8450040
Her translation of Don Quixote is shit.

Tobias Smollett is the best translator of Cervantes.
>>
>>8450141
Well, Bloom thinks its unbelievable, but Marquez actually told her he enjoys reading his works in her English which seems to be high praise. Clearly she isnt just some darling to publishers like P&V
>>
>>8450143
Marquez was referring to Rabassa's translation, and it was half-jokingly.

Bloom's introduction to Grossman's Don Quixote is probably the worst introduction I've ever read. I'm not exaggerating. He spent the entire introduction talking about Falstaff.

Bloom has nothing to say. He likes Andrew Hurley's translations of Borges too.

> or is she just a hired gun?

Yes, you need to re-translate in order to make those copyright gain$.
>>
>>8450156
Is rabassa a hired gun as well?
>>
>>8450160
I think he mostly translates stuff that hasn't been translated but I'm not sure.

Grossman's translation of Don Quixote is garbage. Smollett's translation is so much better and funnier. There's no reason for another English translation except to steal money from you. Go find that old, cheap Smollett edition of Cervantes and thank me later.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.