[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't Augustine, ultimately, Nietzsche's natural foil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: St-augustine-of-hippo.jpg (54KB, 477x600px) Image search: [Google]
St-augustine-of-hippo.jpg
54KB, 477x600px
Isn't Augustine, ultimately, Nietzsche's natural foil? Particularly when you take the Confessions into account. Here is a man that fully embraced what you might call his Dionysian elements, his inner strength and will... and he tossed it all away, and became perhaps the purest example of Christian slave morality. And it made him happy.

To top it off, he was a particular favorite of Schopenhauer, who of course was a huge part of Nietzsche's development as a philosopher. And I believe at one point Nietzsche even comments disparagingly about him in a letter.

And of course it goes without saying that their philosophical projects are diametrically opposed.
>>
>>8449469
You write an interesting post and i am looking forward to some hopefully good discussion here but am curious if you really know what Christian slave morality is.
>and he tossed it all away, and became perhaps the purest example of Christian slave morality

Could you elaborate on this and explain it in more detail what the Christian slave morality is and how you see that in Augustine?
>>
>>8449469
Fuck off you "redpilled" internet """"philosopher"""""
>>
Stop reading Nietzsche as a meme, and start with the Greeks next time genius.
>>
>>8449566
http://qz.com/768450/one-of-the-most-famous-living-philosophers-says-much-of-philosophy-today-is-self-indulgent/
>>
>>8449469
Many medieval Christian and platonic philosophers will be Nietzsche's "foil". They'd also presumably say one who embraces their inner Dionysian will as if it were a strength is in fact accepting enslavement to nothing other than the larger Will (whatever they might term it) which commands the material world. They would say real freedom can only come from escaping this illusionary Will and instead embracing what is truly real, God and spirit.
>>
>>8449542
I'll explain slave morality.

Pre-Christian societies practiced the opposite "master morality" where the strong dictate culture and the weak can choose to follow or try to over power the strong to put their own system in. The masters dictate what is good and bad in society based on this.

Slave morality is what happens when the slaves overpower the masters en masse; natural slaves have no values and ideas of their own, so they take the system built by the masters and reverse it. Essentially, good for the master (wealth, strength, beauty, power) becomes evil in the slave morality society, and bad for the masters (weakness, poverty, ugliness) become good in the slave morality society.

There is also Nietzsche's greatest idea, ressentiment, working at the same time. When a master forces an idea on a slave and the slave doesn't like it, he simply holds his anger in, letting it out in treacherous bursts (passive aggression, underhanded tactics). In the slave morality society, ressentiment cannot be successfully vented, leading to occasional panics and mass hysterias as society vents its built up anger and tension.

However, the slave morality society produces a special type of guilt and reflective melancholy which Nietzsche speculates could eventually produce an übermensch.

Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morals is one of the best books ever written.
>>
>>8449616

The Greeks were a bit difficult for me to get into since their musings were incredibly rudimentary ("shit's made of elements, yo"), but it was necessary to understand in order to appreciate Plato, Aristotle, the Skeptics, etc.
>>
People misunderstood 'Slave Morality' all the time.

The Will to Power is essentially 'Freedom From' and 'Freedom To/For' - it manifests itself in oppressed people who seek to overthrow their masters, and masters too.

Slave Morality is what happens when oppressed peoples make peace with their masters, or somehow try to justify their oppression/serfdom (the promise of otherworldly/afterworldly reward for the weak/oppressed/etc in Christianity, for example).
>>
>>8450260

And just to add, Nietzsche didn't think that Slave Morality (or slaves, for that matter) shouldn't exist - rather, just that neither were admirable or worth aspiring toward.

Masters need slaves.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.