[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for more lovecraftian style fantasy/ horror that is actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 457.jpg (83KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
457.jpg
83KB, 260x400px
Looking for more lovecraftian style fantasy/ horror that is actually better than lovecraft

Someone here recommended pic related and I've loved everything about it. Looking for more

Someone mentioned the works of Lord dunsany, is it any good?
>>
Read the Zothique series by Clark Ashton Smith. More fantastical than Lovecraft (takes place in a "Dying earth" sort of scenario) but similar themes. Insane archaic vocabulary and moody stories about necromancers, mad alchemists, cult-leading ancient gods etc.

I think he also wrote some Lovecrftian mythos as well. Definitely look him up.
>>
xenomorph fanfiction
>>
>>8449238
Thanks, will check him out

>>8449244
>fan fiction

No thanks.
>>
>>8449238
Great recommendation. I always thought CAS was a better, underrated Lovecraft.

>>8449198
You'll like Dunsany too. Perhaps try Mervyn Peake after these two and Machen.
>>
You might also try Robert E. Howard, August Derleth & Donald Wandrei. Dunsany was an influence on both Lovecraft & Tolkien. Michel Houellebecq wrote quite an interesting essay on Lovecraft - H.P.Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life.
>>
Robert W. Chambers's King in Yellow
Borges' Aleph (not really horror)
>>
>>8449772
Stop fucking posting your own cancerous videos, you autistic faggot
>>
>>8449817
Not this poster, but it's important to add that why it's good, it's also a confusing anthology. You have to pay serious attention when reading it. You'll know what I mean.
>>
>>8449198
>lovecraftian style fantasy/ horror that is actually better than lovecraft
Doesn't exist.
No one else before Lovecraft, and no one since, combined a sense of cosmic futility/terror and actual physical horrors with a very strong sense of veracity and fatal mystery and married this to an iconic prose style (kill yourself if you dare spout the ">but he writes like shit lmao" meme.

Hipsters sometimes put forth names like Dunsany, Machen, Ashton-Smith (tip: his poetry is where it's at; Lovecraft wasn't namedropping this friend of his occasionally without a reason), Ligotti, Chambers, Hope Hodgson, Blackwood and claim they're better than HPL. Different strokes and all, but I don't think that's true. Most of them are truly excellent writers as well, others are weaker in that department but very strong in the imaginative department (Hodgson), but there's a reason why Lovecraft is the one who's left the biggest mark, and not just within literature.
In addition to the thinly veiled recs I gave above, you can look into the short story anthologies called "Black Wings". They collect stories that are "Lovecraftian" in one way or the other and are overall pretty good, but the individual quality of the stories vary wildly. Very few are actually terrible, some are amazing.
>>
>>8450084
Your analogy is wrong. Lovecraft is more popular, more well known but that doesn't mean that the quality of his work are a reflection or justify his popularity.

The stories are slipshod, the characterisations non existent. His only saving grace is the theme's of his books which have been done better
>>
>>8450084
>does exist
Robert E. Howard out did him in one of his earliest conan stories.
>>
>>8449704
If you like Dunsany and Peake, maybe also E.R.Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros
>>
File: 1384226364686.jpg (96KB, 1280x845px) Image search: [Google]
1384226364686.jpg
96KB, 1280x845px
>>8449704
Exactly what I think, and I do like Lovecraft, it is just that CAS writes better and delivers good ending.

OP, I recommend this: http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/231/the-vaults-of-yoh-vombis
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.