[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You guys know of any good essays or arguments about video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: bPd2V5y.jpg (749KB, 4124x1908px) Image search: [Google]
bPd2V5y.jpg
749KB, 4124x1908px
You guys know of any good essays or arguments about video games potential for art or examination of "human condition"? Shit posts welcome.
>>
>>8447841
*crickets chirp*
>>
>>8447841
it'll turn you into a braindead zombie
>>
>>8447841
and just to spare the time of those going to call me a manchild, I don't play games and haven't in a long time.
>>
I consider video games a new and exciting storytelling medium. The surface of what can be done with interactive narrative has barely been scratched, and although game mechanics often muddy the flow of the plot,great things have been achieved,and greater things to aspire to glow enticingly on the horizon.
Here is something truely literary to ponder:Dear Esther. It started out as a Half Life 2 mod,but grew into its own experience. You are a lone man,wandering through a desolate island in Western Europe, pondering a misspent life and lost love. The "game" is just your slow meandering and random musings,but for that time you have a sense of place,in the shoes of some tortured soul. Here is a video of a playthrough.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjy8QOEMsiw

An example. A parallel of a parable,a moment of time.
>>
>>8447841
>Shit posts welcome.

Does anyone else hate women and black people? Like, women are so lame they need 60 of their name to be supported by "men". Black people have an average iq of 85. Barely conscious for sure. Oh and dont start me on jews.

HoWS that for a shitpost
>>
>Shit posts welcome
>No one shitposts

Of course. Well, OP, I'm here to inform you that you're a fucking retard and videogames can never be art. In fact, the very interactivity of videogames prohibits them from being art, because art is fundamentally an experience of the sublime transferred from one entity to another - the moment you start dealing with interactivity and goals and points and competition, it becomes a game. Beautiful games oftentimes, and certainly fun games, but always only games. Would you call chess art? Would you call baseball art? Videogames are clearly not art because they are games, and why would you want games to be art anyway unless you were dissatisfied with the cultural credence given to games, most likely a hobby of yours? Indeed, I think the onus is on you to understand why you would want games to be art in the first place.

QED
>>
>>8449140
>a desolate island in Western Europe
It's supposed to be in the Hebrides and that shit isn't a game.
>>
>>8449196
Its an interactive narrative. Using a game engine. If you want more game and can forgive a spoiler, there is always the Plot Twist from Bioshock.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dL1kz6ojoQ
>>
>>8449246
not anon but
What is the fundamental ideology of the KKK?
White supremacy
What is the fundamental action of the KKK?
Beating, hanging and burning niggers
Transfer it to the ''electrical jew'' known as videogames
The fundamental ideology is to entertain and the action is to sell.
When you write a book, paint a tree, compose a song or write a play, the reason is not something as superficial as a narrative or a feel.
Even making people think is still mundane.
What art is for it's precisely the lack of objective, the catalyst of the self.
So when you think that videogames are art, you are simplifying art into narrative and message.
Furthermore, the process of creating a videogame is completely different to a work of art, you pay designers, programmers and marketing teams, and while they all hold a different perspective on the work, they just get their paycheck and move on.
>>>/v/
>>
>>8447841
I don't know of any. No doubt there is an argument to be made that the interactivity of video games could make for a unique artistic experience.
>>
>>8449165
thanks for this pretentious answer that doesn't answer my question and thanks for calling me a retard for a position I haven't assumed. You reek of a frustrated shoulda been philosophy major.
>>
File: CiCfj2XXEAAvQjj.jpg (55KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
CiCfj2XXEAAvQjj.jpg
55KB, 600x420px
Lmao art is so gay you're all like 'woah is this art? what does the colour blue-ish purple feel like in your heart? how does yoursoul listen to music?' just shut up people areliterally animals and you just mad cause your girl is a drunken angry infant so your life isn't fulfilling fuck off that shit is gay af be a man and admit anything and everything can be art and that that doesn't matter to anyone worth talking to anywhere damn.
>>
>>8449270
You're retarded. When you want to stage a play, you hire technicians and actors with the intent to sell tickets. Nothing you've said disqualifies videogames from being art. There exist games which have been made by a single person as a labor of love, though that really has nothing to do with whether or not it can be art.

This is badly statef. I'm drunk. But it should be obvious that you're a scoundrel and a philistine.
>>
>>8449454
>When you want to stage a play, you hire technicians and actors with the intent to sell tickets
Hot argument anon, you convinced me.
You know, I'm sorry I think your hobby is meaningless jerking off of your money and time. I thought saying that art needs money was already an axiom, retard. You know about mécènes right? The point is that money helps the art be conceived and exposed, while for videogames money is both the catalyzer and the objective.
>There exist games which have been made by a single person as a labor of love
I suppose, but to cut greed from videogames is absurd, you must understand that videogames use the ''wewuzartnshit'' to sell more, to justify the purchase to all demographics that buys them.
>This is badly statef. I'm drunk. But it should be obvious that you're a scoundrel and a philistine.
>drinking a sunday
fag
>>
>>8447841

I'm so happy /lit/ has seemingly forgotten the pretentious cunt whose shit-tier pseudo-Nietzschean essay you're fishing for.
>>
File: 1472425986015.png (65KB, 285x276px) Image search: [Google]
1472425986015.png
65KB, 285x276px
>>8450356
DELET DIS
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.