[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start with DFW? I bought this, but I don't really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

How do I start with DFW? I bought this, but I don't really like it. Should I just jump into Infinite Jest?
>>
>Should I just jump into Infinite Jest?
Yeah. It's not difficult, just long. I started with Broom of the System and regretted it because that book fucking sucks.
>>
Start with Infinite Jesticular Cancer
>>
read little expressionless animals, my appearance, and here and there, then e unibus pluram, then tornadoes and tennis, then infinite jest.
>>
>>8443806
his debut novel, Broom of the System, is actually really good. I would read that before deciding you want to spend the next month reading IJ. IJ isn't overly difficult or anything though, so if you are confident you want to invest the time you could jump straight to that.
>>
>>8443806
pake king is better than the meme IJ
>>
You should read books that you want to read.

If you're a fast or tenacious reader, jump into Infinite Jest.

It's good and long. But it's not really good. I dropped it around page 700. I'm a slow reader with not enough free time that it felt like it was worth it.

From what I read I can see why it would be the favorite book of many.

Give it a try.

Don't be afraid to drop it early. Few here finished it much less read it at all.
>>
>>8444002
>I started with Broom of the System and regretted it because that book fucking sucks.

Please don't say that ):
>>
I started with this. Some of the last stuff he ever wrote, but it's all fairly easy to read. There's some really good short stories, particularly Good Old Neon and Soul is Not a Smithy.

Not really the most indicative of his writing, but it's good to decide if you want to continue with him.
>>
>>8444945
>There's some really good short stories, particularly Good Old Neon
this is the story that DFW himself recommended people start with
>>
>>8443806
I started with Consider the Lobster then onto IJ.
There are lots of extracts and articles that are pretty representative of his writing out there for free eg. The Depressed Person
>>
You can just jump into IJ. I read IJ first and then A Supposedly Fun Thing...

Does anyone like DFW's essays more than his fiction? IJ is great imo, and as a collection I don't think ASFTINDA is better than IJ but I like hearing David talk more than I have the desire to read his other fiction pieces.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.