[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All of my friends have fond memories of this book. I never read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

All of my friends have fond memories of this book. I never read it as a kid because I have never liked genre fiction. Is it worth getting into as an adult? I want to share their happiness, but will it damage my patrician mind that has been shaped by me carefully controlling what I am exposed to? I have never read Harry Potter either.
>>
>>8443412
You sound like a boring drone. Don't bother reading it, you probably won't like it.
>>
Its not a kids book.

Agree with ^ anon, why not use your time wisely and re-read Infinite Jest?
>>
I just read the complete series earlier this summer and didn't laugh once. It was a strange melancholy because I felt the whole time it was something I should have read years ago.
>>
>>8443412

The jokes are funny if you're a kid. They're very reddity.
>>
Don't read it OP
you would consider it shit
so when you're talking to your friends and they are all laughing and you say "that book is shit" they are going to look you bad
but if you don't read it you just say "I didn't read it" so it's ok
>>
>>8443412
If you only like proper literature you'll find it bad.
If you try to understand that's a more simple, with a straight foward prose who doesn't want to be "artistic", and that the core of the book are the sci-fi jokes you'll enjoy the ride.
It's not a great story, it's a funny one.

I think that a book is good for what it can offer me.
>>
Its worth a read. My reading has become much more sophisticated that the Hitchikers guide, but it's still one of my favourite books, next to Don Quixote. You don't have to take yourself so seriously anon, if you find yourself enjoying it, read it.
>>
I mean the endgame message of the series is pretty bleak. But it's a decent read. Really enjoyable if you like sci-fi.
>>
>>8443412
Listen to the superior radio series.
>>
>>8443467
This. I read the first book recently and knew I should have read it years ago.
>>
File: cantbestumped.gif (1MB, 600x442px) Image search: [Google]
cantbestumped.gif
1MB, 600x442px
>>8443412
The first book is definitely worth the read, IF you enjoy Monty Python and absurdist humor.

The second and third books in the series are more of the same. However, since you've already been exposed to the first book, then humor is the next two is no longer "new" and while still funny, don't quite hold up to the first.

Fourth book is, well, okay. It continues the story of the main characters, but it has a much darker tone and ends on a dark note. Personally, I appreciated a dark turn at the end of a long, humorous journey. Nice contrast.

Fifth book was written by another author based on Adams' notes. He had wanted to write one more book to end on a lighter note. I haven't read it because I'm happy with the way the fourth one ended.

your mileage may vary.
>>
>>8443412
it's garbage ideological wank on the same level of drivel like Anthem, mixed with lolsorandom humor

don't read
>>
>>8446821
>absurdist humor

Does anyone have book rec's which are similar?
>>
>>8446869
The legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra
>>
>>8443412
I read these in my early teens and thought they were amazing. At the time I mostly read star wars/star trek books.
If you've never liked genre fiction I doubt you would enjoy these. I suspect that fond memories is all they're good for, and wouldn't read them again myself to avoid spoiling that.
>>
>>8443412
I have fond memories of laughing about the shapely ass on this cover.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.