[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought this book was better than Anna Karenina and the Karamazov

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 5186hYaVo2L.jpg (63KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
5186hYaVo2L.jpg
63KB, 367x500px
I thought this book was better than Anna Karenina and the Karamazov brothers which are staples of Russian literature.

It made me howl with mirth, and it made me weep. The prose is incredible, and the characters are unforgettable.

Why haven't you read this yet /lit/?
>>
>>8438053
I have read it. It's alright.
>>
>>8438055
How do you rank it among other Russian classics?
>>
>>8438053
I've read it and i do love it. Favorite rusky book besides Dead Souls

I have angry eyebrows drawn on the front cover of my copy, and it faces a copy of Fathers And Sons (also with angry eyebrows drawn on) on my bookshelf
>>
>>8438058
On par with Tolstoy, whom I think is massively overrated. Worse than Dosto and Pushkin.
>>
>>8438053
Gave up after 2-300 pages.

Maybe it was the translation, but I simply didn't find the premise amusing in the slightest. Kind of a critical flaw for a comedy.

Perhaps it hit too close to home.
>>
>>8438093
You shouldn't read a book expecting one thing or another. Oblomov is typically described as funny, but it is also depressing, sad, and thoughtful.

Mirian Schwartz' translation is excellent.
>>
>>8438053
I thought it was great at times, but as far as i'm concerned it didn't come near War & Peace or The Brothers Karamazov.
I enjoyed it more than The Death of Ivan Ilyich, but that's comparing a novel to a novelle. I'm starting Anna Karenina in september so i can't judge that yet.

The endig hit me right in the feels tho. And i guess the opening hit pretty close to home.
The chapter Oblomov's dream is comfy stuff, heartwarming really, but nothing War & Peace didn't have.

I guess you could say i enjoyed it more than i did Fathers and Sons. It certainly a classic.
>>
>>8438319
It's*
>>
>>8438053
>Why haven't you read this yet /lit/?
It's long. I'm tired. Maybe next week or next year.
>>
>>8438389
It's a little over 500 pages. Not terribly long... How many pages till something becomes a door stopper?
>>
>>8438093
>Perhaps it hit too close to home.

This was the case for me. The description of a man still in bed at noon was just too relatable.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.