[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever started a good book, but realised that the translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1439910482278.jpg (60KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1439910482278.jpg
60KB, 604x453px
Have you ever started a good book, but realised that the translation is pretty bad and while not destroying the original work entirely or even making it bad, it makes it significantly worse? It happened to me with my translation of Byron's Don Juan.
>that feel when my english isn't good enough to read the original, but It's good enough to compare two fragments and notice the gap in quality
>inb4 massive pleb reading translations from fucking English out of all languages
>>
Take some time off from reading, and intensively study literary English. Even native speakers have no idea what the fuck
>Man's love is of man's life a thing apart, / 'Tis woman's whole existence
means unless they've read poetry before. Lord Byron is also a perfect example of an author who liked to write in intentionally archaic language, emulating the Faerie Queene in particular.
Your post sounds 100% native, by the way.
>>
>>8436372
Good annotated editions for difficult works anon. That does the trick. English isn't my first language but there's no way I'm reading a translation. No reason neither.
>>
>>8436372
same goes for aristotle in german
>>
>>8436372
Yeah, loads of times, being a monolingual Englishman. I definitely felt this with Faust Part 1.

Don Juan is fucking hilarious btw, easily the funniest and most enjoyable poem in the English language. The narrator is one of the great voices in literature.

>when Juan gets shipwrecked and has to eat his dog
>when Haidee's father returns to his island and finds everyone eating his shit assuming he's dead
>when Juan hacks through dozens of Turkish mooks just to save one child
>when Juan lands in England and immediately gets mugged by an exaggerated Cockney stereotype
>all those fucking digressions

Great stuff.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.