[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>friend tells me he started the day discussing 'relative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: images (64).jpg (8KB, 190x240px) Image search: [Google]
images (64).jpg
8KB, 190x240px
>friend tells me he started the day discussing 'relative morality'
>"Haha, do you often discuss ethics?"
>"No anon, it's morality, It's different.
>"Morality falls within the branch of Ethics though"
>"Well it depends really it can go either way, ethics being more or less individual and morals being more collective or relative if you prefer"
>mfw

Do people realise when they're speaking such utter bullshit?
>>
It's called the Dunning-Kruger effect anon.
>>
>>8434834
He's not wrong but he's using the wrong definition of morals/morality

So he's still stupid but there's a context in which he would be correct
>>
>>8434852
He is wrong either way. Ethics is simply the philosophical study of morality.
>>
>>8434857
I know it is, but in colloquial ethics are collective values whereas morals are personal ones. He's wrong in the philosophy context but that's only because of a semantic misunderstanding on his part
>>
>>8434834
you mean, you actually hang out with non-libertines? wtf board am I on?
>>
sometimes they'll realize later

seriously though cut the guy some slack, he might've just read or heard someone else make a similar distinction and done fucked up, being new to the subject and not really knowing the terms
>>
>>8434865
Earlier he argued that there must be an alternate reality that did not have a reality
>>
>>8434882

Take the adult advice that was just given to you and stop having a bitterness boner over this guy. Talking about every little bullshit thing he said with strangers on the internet and shit. Who the fuck cares? Forget him.
>>
>>8434984
I care.

I had to listen to an incredibly drunk philosopher from Birmingham join my table at a beach (after confusing our conversation for a debate on Christianity) and decided to buy him drinks for a good while. He was very amusing, but kept confusing solipsism for fideism and was studying free will in a mountain range nearby. Towards the end, after he tried to sell his watch for another shot of rum, he gave me some philosophical rundown of big labias and told me, after failing to become a priest, that he had stolen all his money from a mortgaging error by his bank, and could never return home.
>>
>started the day discussing "relative morality"

Jesus Christ, what a fucking tryhard. You should have just ridiculed him for that instead.
>>
>>8435085
We ain't your friends. Go tell this somewhere
>>
>>8435131
Do you have an email adress?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.