[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I first read The Catcher in the Rye in seventh grade, and since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Rye_catcher.jpg (70KB, 223x351px) Image search: [Google]
Rye_catcher.jpg
70KB, 223x351px
I first read The Catcher in the Rye in seventh grade, and since then, I haven't found anything as fulfilling or enjoyable. What books do you recommend? I read a fair amount but haven't found anything quite like it.
>>
>>8434378
What have you read?
>>
>>8434383
The Bell Jar is the closest thing I've read to Catcher, but I didn't love it. Otherwise, apart from Catcher, I really enjoyed Stoner and Jonathan Franzen's work. I think the trend is sad, realistic novels with painfully relatable insights into the human condition.
>>
>>8434401
Perhaps you'll like the Virgin Suicides then. It's a little dry though.
>>
Reading Catcher right now OP. I know it's considered a pleb book but I'm 19, and I want to be able to relate to it while I still can before I get old and dismiss it. Had to put it down though as I have to study for my permit test next week.
>>
Don Quixote
sometimes it drags but when it hits, hits hard
you will not regret it
>>
>>8434378
>We the Animals
>Vernon God Little
>Special Topics in Calamity Physics
>Old School
>Project X (I would say this one has the same type of voice Holden did)
>>
>>8434401
> I think the trend is sad, realistic novels with painfully relatable insights into the human condition.

Honestly OP this >>8434435

Not sure about >>8434468 as I haven't read any of those.
>>
>>8434440
Is it a pleb book? Anyway, I think that's wise. In seventh grade, a lot of it went over my head, but when I re-read it in high school and then in college, it really hit me. Though, I imagine, as you say, it will be hard to relate to in middle age
>>
>>8434483
It's a /lit/ starter kit book and they look down on most of the books on there (with an exception of Lolita). Sadly my school was very poor so they never made us read anything. Really wish I got the chance to read it when I was younger and still in school. I really did relate to him back then. Much more than I do now anyways.
>>
>>8434378
try Rituals by Cees Nootboom

and

Vox by Nicholson Baker
>>
>>8434537
It's a great book.
>>
Might seem kind of a stupid suggestion as i assume you have already done so, but just in case, you have read Salinger's other works right?

I consider Catcher one of his worst (although it's still good), but his other stuff is better.
>>
>>8434483
>>8434537
>>8434440

It's a great book and stop listening to people who say it's shit. The book has been selling ~250k copies a year for a LONG time and few works of literary merit manage to do that.

>>8435952
>>8436281
I would also suggest his other work. A Perfect Day for Bananafish is probably my favorite short story. I have yet to read Raise High the Roofbeams, Carpenters but I've heard it isn't bad.

SOME on /lit/ like to call everything shit that has been widely read. That's only a vocal minority. Ignore it and you'll find some good constructive direction for some good literature.
>>
>>Vernon God Little
fuck that book
>>
>>8434401
Please read Oblomov. It's exactly the type of book you're looking for.

It's recommended here a lot, but hardly anyone has read it. Of all the 100s of people from here I have on goodreads I think there are only 4 ratings including mine.

So I've been doing some shilling the past couple days. Specifically for the Miriam Schwartz translation.
>>
>>8434378
Have you read American Psycho?
>>
>nobody mentions the rape scene
My how /lit/ has changed
>>
>>8437955
Explain
>>
>>8436771
I've been meaning to read it for a while. Can you rec a translation?
>>
>>8437994
He recommended the Miriam Schwartz translation in his post duder
>>
>>8438017
I have no excuse
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.