[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any books that read like a french New Wave or an italian Neo-Realist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: parisbelongstous.jpg (226KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
parisbelongstous.jpg
226KB, 1600x900px
Any books that read like a french New Wave or an italian Neo-Realist movie? I've been wanting to read something like that, where the characters are all self-aware, erudite, curious and critical, and where the city/forest/shore seem to be characters unto themselves.

Anyone know what I mean?
>>
>>8434146
The Stranger reads like a Godard movie to me for some reason but I'm sure you've read that
>>
>tfw all these beautiful European cities are flooded with shit skins

Don't go to Europe boys, I was so fucking disappointed.
>>
Le chants de Maldoror, maybe
>>
>>8434155
This, Camus novels all could be shot in black and white with a dreary, listless musical score.
>>
>>8434160
R-really, I'm super into European art films and I have the most perfect image of Europe in my mind. If I go, will my whole life be shattered?
>>
>>8434164
so.... not godard

well op Pynchon reads an awful lot like Rivette thematically but none of the french new wave feel

try cortazar's Hopscotch, about a bunch of cafe pseuds in 50s paris
>>
>>8434182
Eastern europe is still okay, otherwise yes
>>
>>8434182
Which city do you want to see? Warsaw was still amazing, Paris looked like Africa
>>
Read the novel Jules et Jim was built on.
>>
>>8434191
Original guy that posted, I can imagine Stranger shot in the style of Breathless, am I alone in that?
>>
>>8434213
godard's fast fun youthful handheld camerawork jarring edits and improvisational acting is as far from camus as it could be
it's also a dumb idea considering bresson is such an obvious fit
>>
>>8434208
Tell me there's less cuckoldry.
>>
>>8434226
I doubt it. Don't let it trigger you too much anon.
>>
>>8434162
Havent read Maldoror yet. I always imagined it to be a kind of (capital "r") Romantic novel. I'll look into it.

>>8434191
>>8434208
I've already read these.

I was thinking of something along the lines of Queneau, Butor (La modification is one of my favourite novels) or Perec without the Oulipo baggage.
>>
>>8434249
Also, I've already read Robbe-Grillet, and he gets pretty close, but he seems too sterile, too analytical.
>>
>>8434249
>Havent read Maldoror yet. I always imagined it to be a kind of (capital "r") Romantic novel. I'll look into it.
Although there is some influences from romantic poetry and symbolist poetry (French final form of romanticism), Les chants is some kind of border. It had a huge influence on French Surealism, and if you except some sort of novel with romantic theme you may be disapointed. It's a poem, a long ass nonsensical poem in "prose". Sometimes it's disgusting, sometimes it's beautiful, sometimes it's both. It's the raw feelings of a (maybe insane) angsty teenager put on a sheet of paper. It's still worth reading, but i don't think it's what you except it to be.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.