[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please tell me someone else has read this book, it has left me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Please tell me someone else has read this book, it has left me feeling so hopeless that I just need some discussion to turn it into an idea which I can use to improve myself upon.

I have depression and spend most of my time doing nothing at all, wasting days away, sleeping in late and aimlessly sitting around. Fuck, this book has me so distressed. I don't want to die like Giovanni, I don't want to waste my life looking for glory and for glory not to come.
>>
I wish I could discuss it with you but I've read it ten years ago and don't remember much of it.
Why is my memory so shit?

All I remember is that I enjoyed it and that it was set in a military fort in the desert.
>>
>>8432544
It's definitely something I'm going to re-read. I think if I channel these feelings of anxiety and despair into something productive I might not have to die feeling like live is a complete waste.
>>
how long dis
>>
File: 1452221597632.gif (2MB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1452221597632.gif
2MB, 750x750px
>>8432537
If you liked The Tartar Steppe, you should read The Opposing Shore. The author, Julien Gracq, was clearly influenced by Buzzati, but unlike Buzzati, Gracq had great prose. Not to say Buzzati isn't great but the prose did seem stilted at points. Either way both books gave me feels.
>>
>>8432537
Its an amazing book indeed, one of the few that carries some sort of lesson withouth being too cheesy or ham-fisted
The thing is, the books, while bleak, is a way for you to experience the meaningless that is a life of inertia, waiting to be happy or archive your goals only after "the next big thing" happens in your life (like waiting to get a gf)

You don't want to end like Drogo? Then start to give meaning to your existence, like Pindar said:
>Learn what you are and be such.

In the sense that by doing this you won't live a meaningless life, hell, even the guy (forgot his name) that died by climbing the mountain with the regiment had a life of more value than Drogo
>>
>>8432574

~200 pages, not that it should matter
>>
>>8432565

I think you've got the right idea about channeling these feelings but there is a subtle undertone near the end of the book that seems to be overlooked here. Before Giovanni dies he finds peace and contentment in the stillness. He finally realized at the end that it was not that singular event of 'glory' which makes life worth it but the striving and determination of will over the course of his life, and the suffering it brought, which made it meaningful. This is influenced by Schopenhauer, directly or indirectly.

So, while the ending is truly sad and bordering on horrific on the individual scale, not all is lost.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.