[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me novels which are structured more like a group of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 0e9.jpg (24KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
24KB, 499x499px
Recommend me novels which are structured more like a group of connected short stories.
>>
>>8432129
History of the World in 10andahalf Chapters
Go Down Moses
>>
Your mom's diary of her sex life
>>
>>8432129
Probably 1001 nights
>>
>>8432129
Memoirs of an anti-semite
Henry Duchemen and his Shadows
>>
The Pickwick Papers
The first four stories of The King in Yellow
Don Quixote
>>
File: Voice-of-the-Fire-Portada.jpg (120KB, 600x930px) Image search: [Google]
Voice-of-the-Fire-Portada.jpg
120KB, 600x930px
>>8432129
>>
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
>>
>>8432129
dubliners
lost in the funhouse
if on a winter's night a traveler
>>
my favorite is Winesburg, Ohio
>>
>>8432310
Seconding this
>>
File: Chimera.jpg (21KB, 220x317px) Image search: [Google]
Chimera.jpg
21KB, 220x317px
I'm assuming you've read The Sound and the Fury.

Chimera by Barth more or less is three short(ish) stories, but they work together to form a larger beast, you know, like the name implies
>>
Instead of replying to frogposters, report them.
>>
File: 155677.jpg (50KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
155677.jpg
50KB, 312x475px
Also, Street of Crocodiles by my main man Bruno
>>
File: 51OqoO7bbBL._SL1500_.jpg (49KB, 313x500px) Image search: [Google]
51OqoO7bbBL._SL1500_.jpg
49KB, 313x500px
>>
I quite liked The Nick Adams Stories
>>
I haven't read it but have heard Naked Lunch is quite like this.
>>
>>8432549
It's also quite like shit
>>
the summer book by tove jansson
>>
Jesu's Son
>>
>>8432573
2nded
>>
>>8432129
Cloud Atlas
>>
>>8432549
More like loosely-connected impressions rather than short stories. A great read though. If you dig that be sure to check out Burroughs' Nova Trilogy.
>>
>>8432439
How hard is this? I recall Michael Silverblatt talking about the structure being some sort of logical equation or something.
>>
>>8432601
Not terribly difficult, the first story is pretty crazy, in terms of it's narrative structure, and it becomes unclear who is actually narrating the story at certain points but it is by no means a "difficult" novel. The second two stories are more straight forward (structurally).

If you've read any other Barth it is easier than Lost in the Funhouse and harder than The Floating Opera
>>
>>8432601
>Michael Silverblatt
That guy is hilariously pretentious. I like and hate him at the same time.
>>
>>8432637
fuck, its**
>>
>>8432646
>pretentious
I have exactly the opposite perception of him (from my admittedly limited listening). For one he's way too knowledgeable to be subject to accusations of pretension. Also to me he sounds very humble, in particular relative to his erudition and breadth of reading.
>>
>>8432329
two of those aren't even novels
>>
>>8432722
It could be that he is so much more well read and knowledge than me that it only seems like pretention to me.
It could be his jew voice that affects my perception.
>>
winesburg, ohio
>>
>>8432744
>being this pleb
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.