[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >26 >humanities grad >NEET for months after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: gibson.jpg (8KB, 201x250px) Image search: [Google]
gibson.jpg
8KB, 201x250px
>be me
>26
>humanities grad
>NEET for months after college
>finally find a data entry job
>work there for two years while struggling to write
>decide to risk it all and quit to finish a novel
>rent a cheap room for three months
>move back to parents' place for anothe three months
>novel gets rejected by every publisher I contact
>now working minimum wage as a waiter
>no gf
>no f

Anybody else been in a situation like this before?
>>
I graduated summa cum lao after 3 years of personal mentoring from the grandwizard of Oxford. Now I'm set to publish my first collection (which I wrote at age 17) in the Yorker, and my next two manuscripts, sitting on the mahogany desk from which I write with a view over Shanghai Park, are lined up for paperback release by New Directions and Loeb. So no, I'v never been in a situation like this before.
>>
>>8432007
Kind of man. Cancelled my uni applications, joined the police aged 18, realised I wanted to study further and left after training. Decided to be an engineer, did a year of maths and physics and got a job with an engineering company to save for me and my girlfriend (a large reason I didn't go to uni in the first place) to move in together. After first year of my degree I've switched to Law and me and the aforementioned girl just broke up, so I'm leaving at the end of the year and moving to Paris for 4 months in feb on what I save until then, to focus on writing. I suppose in my situation at least if the writing doesn't pan out I'll have a Law degree to fall back on, though.
>>
>>8432007
someone should have told you that you can't be professional writer anymore if you're not rich
unfortunate
just look for a better job op, something will come up eventually
>>
>>8432171
Get some fucking direction in your live, you irresponsible prick
>>
>>8432171
How did you get an engineering job with just one year of school? And you just started a law degree, only to move to Paris to become a writer in Paris? This dose t make sense m8. Why can't you see anything through?
>>
>>8432171

Sounds like a cool life so far. Good for you dude.
>>
>>8432007
>you submitted your novel directly to publishers
>you did zero research on how the industry works, but you quit your job to write
You are astoundingly stupid.
>>
>>8432195
Protip: he's lying. You don't major in law as an undergrad.
>>
>>8432250
What country are you from where that isn't possible?
>>
>>8432255
US. It's a pretty safe assumption that most people here are burgers.
>inb4 you call a prelaw degree a law degree
>>
>>8432260
I assumed given he said he was moving to Paris he was already in Europe. Undergrad law degrees are a thing here.
>>
>>8432298
People don't realize just how much of a scam murrican universities are for undergrads and anything that isn't STEM.
>>
>>8432007
>falling for the 'you can make money writing' meme
>the current year
How did that even happen? You might as well have quit your job to focus on winning the lottery.
>>
File: sign.png (236KB, 397x597px) Image search: [Google]
sign.png
236KB, 397x597px
>>8432007
>decide to risk it all and quit to finish a novel
This is where you fucked up. Always have a backup plan or just write while also maintaining a simple job.

Never quit until you actually manage to make it.
>>
>>8432343
If you treat education as job training, yes. You might as well go into trade school.
>>
>>8432386
>You might as well have quit your job to focus on winning the lottery.

Y-you mean I shouldn't have...?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.