[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peter Handke Knausgaard and Tomas Espedal have had some pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: download 2.jpg (8KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
download 2.jpg
8KB, 183x275px
Peter Handke

Knausgaard and Tomas Espedal have had some pretty sweet words to say about him.

Anyone read something of his work? The only thing I know, is that he went to Slobodan Milosevics funeral.
>>
Ask Ranicki
>>
>>8430077
>Ranicki

Müss man deutsch können?
Nicht gut.
>>
I have read few books by him and I want to read more. I have a friend who has read almost everything Handke have written and supposedly it's all that good. A lot of his stories are sort of road trip, but most importantly the road trips of the mind. He's fuckin impressive stylist and his prose is delight to read, and sometimes it's somehow dense: a lot of allusions to classical literature (for example Short Letter, Long Farewell made me fall in love with Gottfried Keller); other things, like Children story is almost Proustian in a sense... Ah, I really love his books.

And it's, imo, important to divide him as a writer and as a person with some political views. I'm not offended by what he said and done but a lot of people is. And honestly I don't understand that. He won't get the Nobel prize because of that etc.

Funny fact, he translated all of works of Emmanuele Bove from French. And, of course, necessary things are his collaborations with Wenders.

Anyway, books that I've read and are superb:
The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick
Short Letter, Long Farewell
A Sorrow Beyond Dreams: A Life Story (this one is really crushing, about suicide of his mother)
A Moment of True Feeling
Children's Story
Der Chinese des Schmerzes / Across
On a Dark Night I Left My Silent House
Don Juan - His Own Version
Der große Fall

I want to read, and I hopefully will do so
Die morawische Nacht
Crossing the Sierra de Gredos
Once Again for Thucydides
Repetition
The Left-Handed Woman
and would like to try his poetry, havent ready any of that...
>>
>>8430223
Have you read his books in german or english? I would get it if you miss some of his superbness in stylistic writing.

I´ve started reading Kali: Eine Vorwintergeschichte in Danish, and I'm looking forward to read The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick.

WOW didn't know he co-wrote Wings of Desire
>>
I've only read his Don Juan novel and I really enjoyed it. His writing style is very easy to get into, you'll easily get immersed. I want to read his book on Wim Wenders, has anyone read it?

Great discussion topic btw.
>>
>>8430072
Havn't read him, but anybody who has the courage to say what he said about Yugoslavia is ok in my book.
>>
> "The world, the so-called world, knows everything about Yugoslavia, Serbia. The world, the so-called world, knows everything about Slobodan Milošević. The so-called world knows the truth. This is why the so-called world is absent today, and not only today, and not only here. I don't know the truth. But I look. I listen. I feel. I remember. This is why I am here today, close to Yugoslavia, close to Serbia, close to Slobodan Milošević"
>>
>>8430337
>Have you read his books in german or english? I would get it if you miss some of his superbness in stylistic writing.

I haven't read it in neither of those. Sadly can't speak/read in german and english isn't my first language. And I'm mostly used to not read literature through the third language (can read in czech, english and french). So far I've been reading just the translations into czech, and I for sure know that the translators are great (one is translating Kafka, Nietzsche and poets like Franz Wurm; other has translated Magic mountain and Death in Venice by Mann, a lot of Hesse and so on).

And yes, I know that some of his stylistic brilliance is lost in translation but yet I believe that a lot of this can be converted to another language. There are harder things to translate, by a lot.

Anyway, Goalie's anxiety is fantastic, more sparse than his later works, but the language there is symbolic: the rift between the inner mind of the protagonist and the outer world, his alienation and so on. Movie by Wenders is great as well.

Yeah, I found out later, after watching Wings of desire/Himmel uber berlin that the actually best parts were written by Handke: those inner monologues in the first half and especially The litany for the world: that sort of poem/stream of consciousness of the biker who had accident - that part always gives me the chills.
>>
>>8430223
>A Sorrow Beyond Dreams: A Life Story (this one is really crushing, about suicide of his mother)
Read this (NYRB has it) and agree with the sentiment. A short and honest look into Post-WWII Germany.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.