[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I wasn't really sure if I should ask here or /hist/,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: school-of-athens.jpg (102KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
school-of-athens.jpg
102KB, 750x500px
Hey /lit/ I wasn't really sure if I should ask here or /hist/, but you guys probably know more about philosophy than them.

The only real philosophy I've read is Allegory of the Cave and a contemporary paper. I want to get into philosophy, but was wondering were to start. Should I actually start with the Greeks and go in chronological order? Or is that a meme and I should start somewhere else?

Any book recommendations would be appreciated, or an infographic with a bunch of core philosophy books.
>>
>>8429824
>[old dead smart guy] --->[old dead smart guy] --->[old dead smart guy] --->[old dead smart guy]....

why do we have to do this everyday
>>
>>8429824
Read Magee's 'The Story of philosophy'
It's a short book that comprises the most important thinkers and their works
You won't learn shit about actual philosophy but you'll get a good idea what's all about
>>
>>8429824
get a solid history of philosophy book and then read what you want
>>
>>8429838
thanks
>>
Go chronologically mate. Russell's history of western philosophy (despite its faults) is a great introduction. Read a few of the texts he mentions. I've just finished reading Seneca and am about to start the early Catholics. It's definitely better than going straight into "thus spoke zarathustra" and not understanding any of it, yet thinking Nietzsche's right because he uses big words.
>>
>>8429824
Start with the Greeks is pretty much the best way to start reading into Philosophy. The Greeks pretty much set the foundation of Western philosophy and kickstarted the whole thing.

A lot of philosophers base their ideas on philosophers before them especially the Greeks. If you want, think of their works as a sort of response to the philosophers before them. Ancient Greek philosophy finds its influence everywhere in Western philosophy, so reading the Greeks is pretty much mandatory. Heidegger for example, found influence in Parmenides's idea of "it is" and "it is not."

Start with the pre-Socratics such as Parmenides and Heraclitus is my advice.
>>
>>8429824
The Greeks, but not entirely chronological. Read up on the pre-socratics, the sophists, and Socrates, then start with Plato (start with the Apology of Socrates). Afterwards, go back to the sophists. Then Aristotle and continue chronologically.
Another tip: If eastern philosophy interests you, you can start there with the Daodejing and possibly Zhuangzi. I found that, at the latest when you get to the Stoics in your western reading, there are some interesting connections to be made.
>>
>>8430548
>better than going straight into "thus spoke zarathustra" and not understanding any of it, yet thinking Nietzsche's right because he uses big words.

This was literally literally me at 15
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.