[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does life requiere to ignore "reason" sometimes in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: slavoj.png (281KB, 632x758px) Image search: [Google]
slavoj.png
281KB, 632x758px
Does life requiere to ignore "reason" sometimes in order to archive certain non-material goals? or even "happines"*?
Any books that discuss stuff like taking a "jump of faith"*?

*for lack of better wording

pic unrelated, or maybe it is related idk.
>>
>>8429721
Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling is a good book for the "leap of faith" concept.
>>
>>8429726
Is it a hard read? Im quite new to reading in a "serious" way, and I understand most philosophical works require some level of previous understanding.
>>
>>8429738
Like many philosophical works, it is difficult to read and fully understand. I'd suggest picking up a copy and at least becoming familiar with the language, even if you don't fully understand its conclusions. I picked it up when I was younger and, although I didn't quite understand its conclusions, it helped me to inhabit the language necessary for understanding philosophy. If you want to start with philosophy as a subject, then read the histories of either Russell or Durant. If you want something more in depth that tackles Kierkegaard specifically, look at Volume 7 of Copleston's history of philosophy. There isn't any substitute, though, for reading philosophy when it comes to understanding the language of philosophy.
>>
The question is whether your reason is sharpened enough. Are you aware of the irrationality that underlies your rationality?
>>
>>8430085
>Are you aware of the irrationality that underlies your rationality?
i guess so, but not really
>>
>>8429721
After all these years, I can't believe how many people are depressed by foolishness like the text on that pic. "Oooh, happiness isn't permanent!" Good grief.
>>
>>8430750
everyone knows that stuff but for some people that stuff pops up every damn second on their minds and they need to take pills for that
#SorryNotSorry
>>
>>8429721
'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell', by William Blake.

>William Blake (1956-2012) was a british poet, physicist, theologian and cartoonist.

Available for free online.
>>
File: p.jpg (194KB, 947x1400px) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
194KB, 947x1400px
>>8429721
>Does life requiere to ignore "reason" sometimes in order to archive certain non-material goals? or even "happines"*?
Yes, because reason, at least in the common sense way most people use it, leads to absurdity.
Pic related talks about that a lot and how people (unconsciously) deal with it.
It's a bit dry and academic, but still an interesting read for the topics that it explores.

>Any books that discuss stuff like taking a "jump of faith"*?
Kierkegaard, as mentioned, is a known example. But I'm sure also many others who wrote after him and are probably more accessible.
But here's a decent introduction to Kierks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw36V_iXR2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkh2TXCHpNs
(Žižek also mentions him sometimes, his talks about faith/belief are interesting.)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.