[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm European and rarely have trouble pronouncing names,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: what in god's name am I reading.jpg (2MB, 1972x2432px) Image search: [Google]
what in god's name am I reading.jpg
2MB, 1972x2432px
I'm European and rarely have trouble pronouncing names, but Goethe is really weird to me. Is it really pronounced Gur-tah and not Goh-teh (or similar)?

Also Goethe general I suppose.
>>
>>8428705
Where exactly did you find an "r" in Goethe?

Just google it you dip, look up some German pronouncing it and be done with it
>>
>>8428705

I don't know how I'd go about typing it, but it's easy for anyone who isn't retarded.
>>
>>8428708
>>8428714
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Goethe

Am I the only one hearing the r? I initially thought it was an American thing, but I hear it so often that I'm starting to think that even Germans disagree about it.
>>
Geth, with ge as in get.
>>
>>8428717
Like in Mass Effect?
>>
>>8428716
http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Goethe

Also, why does it say that the R is not pronounced, but the audio clearly pronounces it? What the hell is it with this guy's name? I might just end up calling him Johann Wolfgang von and be done with it.
>>
>>8428705
its pronounced göthe
>>
>>8428728
There is no r, what the fuck are you smoking?
Try pronouncing "earl", but drop the 'rl'. Stop at the very first noise. The sound of 'ea' in 'earl' is the vowel ö or o. Don't get to the part where your tongue starts rising, that's too far. That includes the r. That is wrong. o/ea, not or
Göthe.

Oe is often used for ö/o because Anglos are dumb
>>
oe=ö
>>
>>8428901
it's also the same eu in french.
>>
>>8428705
>I'm European

Why is that supposed to be relevant and how is that as an umbrella demographic in any way relevant to your ability to pronounce German. Kys faggot
>>
>>8428705
Who cares, pronounce it in your own accent and just say it's your dialect.

FUCK YOU YANKS IT'S YOGHURT NOT YOOOWGUURRRT
>>
>>8428920
Do Amerifucks actually pronounce Yoghurt as 'Yow-gurt'
>>
File: Stirner.jpg (20KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Stirner.jpg
20KB, 320x320px
Pronunciation is one of the biggest spooks. This is not a joke, linguistics is my property and it will tell you that pronunciation is arbitrary.
>>
>>8428883
There definitely is an R sound in that audio.
>>
File: No.png (207KB, 480x468px) Image search: [Google]
No.png
207KB, 480x468px
>>8428705

>Tfw used to pronounce it 'Go-thuh'
>>
>>8429146
There isn't. You're only hearing it because you're still incapable of conceiving of that sound without having it correspond to your "ur" sound.

>>8428883
>Oe is often used for ö/o because Anglos are dumb
No, it's often used because it isn't always possible to have the ¨ for technical reasons.
>>
People should definitely read Goethe's letter correspondence with Carlyle.

Very cute desu.
>>
it's pronounced "goth". the es are silent.
>>
>>8429169
>There isn't. You're only hearing it because you're still incapable of conceiving of that sound without having it correspond to your "ur" sound.

This. Americans are forever hopeless on the German oe sound
>>
>>8428705
It's a german oe sound, which is similar to a ur sound in english. Don't get all confused about letters it just sounds similar.
Like how the spanish word for chicken is pollo but is pronounced almost identically to the word bollo, which means pussy.
>>
>>8428717
lmao
>>
>>8429286
> It's a german oe sound, which is similar to a ur sound in english

>>8429169
There isn't. You're only hearing it because you're still incapable of conceiving of that sound without having it correspond to your "ur" sound.

Yep, there is no consensus. Thanks for confirming.

>>8428910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
>>
>>8429146
GUH TUH

How fucking hard is it to gomprehend
>>
>>8430057
dude it really isn't that complicated, when someone tells you it sounds like ur they mean the vowel part, not the soft r that it may or may not slide towards, and they use that example because it's the closest you get to that sound in your language, not because it's a perfect fit

and for that matter, depending on the accent, the -ir sound could be a much better approximation: try saying girth, then suppress any remnants of the r you might have
>>
>>8430087

Guh-Tah, actually.
>>
>>8428705
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0FjK96VCLdV
>>
>>8429146
It sounds like the non-rhotic R than British people use. I hear it to
>>
>>8430107
I know how to pronounce it, it's just that native English people tell you not to pronounce the r and then go on to pronounce it. Non-rhotic, more like neurotic.
>>
The page literally has gə(r)-tə
>>
>>8430111
sassy
>>
>>8430111

>Goo-tah

Close, but no cigar.

>>8430108 is right, with a very soft 'T' as well - for which I can't think of an English equivalent.
>>
File: 1470389299554.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1470389299554.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
Göt-he
>>
>>8428705
anglo detected
>>
>>8429222
>tfw I'm trying to learn German and this is 100% true

I don't know it bothers me so much, I'm learning the language to fucking read books, not speak. It's such a difficult sound to form with my stupid tongue. That must be why women don't like it when I go down on them.
>>
y'all motherfuckas never took intro to linguistics? its phoneme vs morpheme

there is no 'r' sound in its phoneme form but there is in its morpheme sound
>>
Goethe
>>
>>8428705
Take the sound from english word 'gut' and the 'u' in the expression 'uh' (you don't prononce the 'h') or the 'e' in 'err'
>>
>>8430584
no there still isn't
>intro to linguistics
obviously wasn't enough
>>
Gorete
>>
>>8428705
its just "gethe"
>>
>>8430364
>Close, but no cigar.
B-but I'm a native speaker.
>>
>>8430584
that is entirely incorrect. Morphemes are units of meaning. The only unit of meaning in Goethe is "Goethe". You may have taken a linguistics course, but you definitely didn't pay attention.

In IPA the pronunciation is [ˈɡoːtə]. You're only hearing an r because (British) English speakers can't into the o sound, and so you make a shitty approximation of it which includes an r sound.
>>
>>8428705
Are you German? Do you proficiently speak a Germanic language that isn't English? If not, it's not surprising that you can't pronounce this.
OE was largely replaced by Ö in Germanic languages, but retroactively enacting it on names makes record-keeping hell, so Goethe remained Goethe and Schoenberg remained Schoenberg. Pronounce his name as Göthe (no English th), or if you're familiar with French, Gœthe.
>>
>>8432809 is right. I'm a native Portuguese speaker and it's even worse for us: anglophones don't do "exotic" vowels except before R, M, N, NG, etc. Hence "clever" and "cultured" Americans saying "som pahwlo," "toodoh beng," and in this case, "gurtuh."
>>
>>8430584
>>8432809
what's a good online resource for learning that kind of stuff?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.