[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most important book of all time is pic related >prove me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (108KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 1024x682px
Most important book of all time is pic related

>prove me wrong, prove me right, discuss

Also, books on insanity general
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 217x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 217x346px
>>8427969
>just meme'd myself, I meant pic related
>>
>>8427972
300 pages of mawkish tripe
>>
>>8427972
>Unabridged

as if it could get any shorter.
>>
>>8428000
It's not the size of the boat that matters, it's the motion of the ocean
>>
>>8427969
That's not 1984.
>>
>>8427969
>>8427972
I'm actually not even going to argue, not that I necessarily agree.
Heart of Darkness seems to use colonialism and a foreigner in the congo as a forum to express something much deeper. Existentially deep. I legitimately believe that Conrad hid something in that book, and after finishing it I felt that I would have to reread it multiple times to really get it. I believe he used a controversial topic to distract from his message.
>>
>>8427972
I've tried. I've tried so many times. The prose is impenetrable to me.
>>
>>8428191
Agree with this. I never read Heart of Darkness as an expose of the Congo or colonialism, like an Upton Sinclair novel, but as a reflection on the ugly side of humanity that can appear at any time, and how this is alienating even as we engage in it. This doesn't sound very deep, but that's part of why the book is so excellent, it takes a simple concept ("people can be bad") and explores it in a way that is powerful on an existential level. This is why the idea translates so easily to Colonel Kurtz in the Vietnam War 70 years later in Apocalypse Now.

For me, critics of the book, like Chinua Achebe, who say it's irrelevant and actually racist because Conrad portrayed Africans as savages are really missing the point. To Conrad, we're all savages under the right conditions.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.