[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any pre-med or med students here? Do you have any time at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Any pre-med or med students here? Do you have any time at all to read fiction?
>>
>>8427609
Drop out of that shit and do it right fucking now it's not worth it
>>
>>8427609
I suck at both, honestly
>>
5th year med student from EU

Didnt have much time during firt 3 years

Also, do not study medicine, go for data sciences. This shit is not worth it
>>
>>8428999
Is it really that bad?
>>
>>8428999
>data sciences
Total meme. You're like the scrub in 1980 who insists that everyone start learning russian.
>>
>>8428922
>>8428999
>>8429049
Married to US doctor. She makes close to 400k in flyover country to work 36 hours a week in an ER. No call. She says its incredibly worth it, I agree. Life is basically paradise. Go for it OP, just dont get trolled into fellowships or IM. Derm/ER is key.

i get plenty of time to read ;)
>>
>>8429062
Also my buddies that were her residency friends had plenty of time to read (you gotta decompress somehow), and first/second year med school was party time.

3rd/4th year of school i didnt see her but i basically just wandered LA and had fun after work.
>>
>>8429067
Sounds pretty good. Also sounds pretty good to be you
>>
>>8429056
data science is one of the best fields atm
>>
>>8429173

Crunching numbers for a living is for soulless robots though. If you get and MD and pick a reasonable specilization its not hard to make 200k-400k a year. If you are smart enough to get in and pass med shool you might as well pick that path because it will allow you to do something you might enjoy and find interesting.
>>
>>8429301
doctors are obviously one of the best career choices im not arguing against that. but a data scientist/statistician only requires a masters degree (~2 years after bachelors) and it can get up to the 100k-150k range. great salary for the time to get qualified.

its not all about crunching numbers either. the methodology and analysis can be quite interesting.
>>
>>8429301
>>8429301
>I'm too dumb to do number crunching so I'm gonna sour grapes about it on an anonymous Sri Lankan tapestry weaving imageboard
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
>>8429316

I'm not too dumb to do it, I'm on my way to being an MD and IMO thats harder because even if you don't study as much math you also have to study advanced chem+bio and get mostly A's before you even get into Med and once you are there it can be even more advanced.

Sure, what I said about bio-stats was a big generalization but even with all the subtleties in that field it can only get so intetesting, whereas with an MD there are all sorts of super-interesting fields to get into like stuff involving genetics, the immune system, psychiatry etc. Also when you are an MD you can both be a practitioner who sees and treats people and also collaborate with other people on research and get it published in journals.

With bio-stats its the sort of thing where once you are done for the day and go home most people wouldn't continue to think about it because its just numbers and it isn't something you want to think about while relaxing because its not super-interesting, while with medicine in some cases it can be super-interesting to the point where you think about it and brainstorm even when not working because there is the potential to make big discoveries and save or improve peoples lives instead of just finding better ways to analyze statistics. Studying and participating in cutting-edge research in medicine is often as interesting as reading /lit/erature while the same can't be said for statistics.
>>
>>8429390
oh i get it. you're a 2nd year pre-med undergrad at a shit uni.

look forward to failing orgo 1. you're the exact reason why weeder classes exist,
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.