[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not gonna lie. I hate exclamation points! Even in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: seinfeld_jerry.jpg (38KB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld_jerry.jpg
38KB, 240x260px
I'm not gonna lie. I hate exclamation points! Even in the Greeks. They're almost as necessary and cringey as adverbs.

Call the /lit/ police, I don't give a flying fuck!
>>
They can funny when used LIKE THIS!!!!
>>
File: troll_face_small.png (77KB, 500x407px) Image search: [Google]
troll_face_small.png
77KB, 500x407px
ebin xdxd
>>
Then you are AUTIST
>>
How would you know when to yell? Now that I think of it, if there's a yell mark there should be a whisper mark... Thinking further, in plays you can't whisper because then no one would hear you.
>>
>>8425742
>Adverbs are unnecessary
>>
Mr. Lippman!
>>
>>8425849
In moderation, they can be useful. Otherwise they bloat the narration. One important thing about showing over telling is that expression through the characters' actions (especially in dialogue) ought to convey the manner in/reasons for which they behave. Adverbs in dialogue are for readers who experience no real interactive quality in reading, or who have no imagination whatsoever and need the writer and/or narrator to be explicit about everything. This is what is important about Faulkner as well, that his "implications" are much truer and more sincere than that most writers' expositions. Therefore, showing is better than telling.

>>8425846
Okay, I'll agree at least that exclamation points within dialogue are important. Otherwise, in the narration (and perhaps this is completely subjective) the exclamation point is redundant, that some cry, say in poetry, of despair or rejoice, through simply the chemistry of chosen words/imagery/heart-and-spirit, it becomes something of point of something psuedo-emotional and contrived.
>>
Americans think adverbs are unnecessary as they can't use them.
>>
>>8425742
I read that in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.
>>
>>8425983
I get what you are saying, but I am not convinced it is true. Can you give me an example with and without adverbs or at least tell me something to read that will illustrate the difference. I am newfag.
>>
>>8425742
>adverbs are cringey
Yeah, you're not worth talking to.
>>
>>8425849
>>8426327
>is a new fag
>tries to be pedantic
fucking reddit
>>
>>8426362
Found the pseud
>>
>>8426376
:^) no need for passive aggressiveness, mr. Oldfag
>>
>>8425742
Funnily enough I just watched that Seinfeld ep with the exclamation points. I hate Elaine so much, what an annoying character qt tho
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.