[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>listening to the in our time episode on logic >first 15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1463753999517.png (7KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1463753999517.png
7KB, 420x420px
>listening to the in our time episode on logic
>first 15 minutes has been the guests talking about Aristotle's syllogisms and stamp collecting of them
>Melvyn Bragg asks "what's the big deal? Seems simple. Was he just a stamp collector?" , obviously unimpressed but politely
>guests can only sputter some crap about it being impressive because Aristotle was the first stamp collector and he inspired other people

The emperor has no fucking clothes. Who could possibly defend this shit? What a load of pseuds.
>>
>>8421438

Braggs position is to be the mediate the panel guests & the curious and open-minded listeners of the show.

I don't know if you've listened to many of the shows; I think they're great because of Bragg's self-imposed, teacher/pupil determination to distinguish between the knowledgeable 'experts' who parrot their university lectures and those 'experts' who can expound on his sometimes direct, jilting questions.

Bragg, yourself, and the experts on the show: everyone learning.

So, what is the big deal ;)
>>
Tip top lel, now I'm listening to the continental analytical philosophy split and this woman guest is literally saying that continental philosophy is mental masturbation about feels. She is literally saying that.
>>
What's your favourite In Our Time episode?
>>
File: 1471173954175.jpg (83KB, 507x763px) Image search: [Google]
1471173954175.jpg
83KB, 507x763px
>>8421543
well?
>>
>>8421552

That's like saying 'what's your favorite cup of water'?

They're all decent it just depends what content you're interested in. Hundreds of episodes spanning all different subjects. Check them out and just choose one on a subject you're interested in.
>>
I remember being amused by this moment in the show.

>In Our Time episode on Chromatography
>guest talks about how his stupid experiment with paper and markers "brings out the inner child in just about anyone"
>Melvyn: "Well my inner child has not - yes, fine we'll leave it at that"
>>
>>8421508
It's better to have an echo chamber of uni lectures in your head instead of having it be empty
>>
Just downloaded the ordinary language episode and went for a walk. Didn't understand much but thanks for the input, OP.
>>
>>8422010
Please stop posting
>>
You're a total retard if you don't realize the monumental importance of formal logic in human thought.
>>
>>8421621

That's good for you pal, didn't mean to offend you or anything like that. It's good to hold knowledge, but to be an authority on that knowledge may be a different game entirely, just saying.

The difference is if you're authority on the knowledge you aren't phased by Bragg's sometimes awkward questioning, you don't attach yourself to the blase confidence in his questioning thus you do not falter when you give an answer i.e 'was he just a stamp collector' is an obviously provocative question; a university graduate will falter and say 'Maybe he was just a stamp collector, in a way? But He's still cool for this and this reasons..' When an authority on the knowledge would know he was being deliberately & ignorantly inductive for the sake of prizing more concrete information out of the guests, then would elaborate on why Aristotle wasn't just a stamp collector. That's all I was saying.
>>
>>8421573
Is it? Doesn't seem completely crazy to have an episode which you particularly enjoyed.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.