[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between Science Fantasy and Science Fiction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: dune.jpg (3MB, 1684x2309px) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
3MB, 1684x2309px
What is the difference between Science Fantasy and Science Fiction?

And which is pic related?
>>
not a great definition but this is what i've hashed out for myself:

science fantasy "reads" like fantasy, mostly because technology rather inconspicuously takes the place of magic since the workings are not explained in detail or even really brought into question by the societies in those books in the first place

haven't finished dune but it seems to fit the bill
>>
>>8417158

In my mind, Science Fantasy would be a book like Dune.
Whereas Science Fiction would be a book like the Martian.
>>
Science Fiction is where they try to realistically elaborate on the world such as how it could exist logically using a basis of real science and technology.

Even if there is technology in a Sci-Fi that doesn't exist, it is made on an understanding of real science and tries to truly make you immersed in how the world works.

Science Fantasy puts a lot of that behind to favor more traditional fantasy plot. It's fantasy set in a technological world but may also have a magical / mystical element to it. A quick comparison I see a lot is Star Wars v.s. Star Trek.

Star Wars is obviously a science fantasy, it's more traditional in its story and of course has the mystical element of the force. Star Trek, while not a perfect science fiction, tries to make a more grounded and realistic world where the technology is as much a character as any other.
>>
>>8417158

Also Dune is a Science Fantasy
>>
>>8417158
Fantasy tries to deal with themes and concepts
Science fiction tries to deal with how technology affects or can affect our lives
So I guess you could argue Science fantasy does both but Dune is pure fantasy if we use these definitions
>>
>>8417256

This is a good explanation. Thanks
>>
>>8417186
>Whereas Science Fiction would be a book like the Martian.
How does the movie compare?
Because I absolutely adored the movie
>>
Science fantasy is gayer and science fiction is nerdier.
>>
>>8417256
But science fiction also deals with themes and concepts? Look at someone like PKD, he writes about concepts like consciousness and reality, the machines are just there to make the story work
>>
>>8417333
This
>>
File: Facepalm_ferret.jpg (114KB, 484x484px) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm_ferret.jpg
114KB, 484x484px
science fantasy is not a thing, so stop pretending it is.
>>
File: 1457645801690.jpg (393KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457645801690.jpg
393KB, 720x480px
>>
Science fiction is a branch of fantasy

I assume science fantasy is just science fiction with elves or some shit
>>
File: 1471108320656.jpg (331KB, 1000x861px) Image search: [Google]
1471108320656.jpg
331KB, 1000x861px
Science Fiction examples :

Ring World
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Anything by Asimov

Science Fantasy examples :

Hyperion
Dune
>>
Can this book be inspiring? I don't read books just for the hobby and for to pass the time. I want the book to be inspiring and motivational and shows the pain and struggle that leads to strength.
>>
>>8417318
I liked the book more than the movie. Then again i really liked the movie too
>>
>>8417837

Dune? Hell yeah motherfucker, the Litany Against Fear alone makes this book top-tier as inspirational work.
>>
Dune is all the genres it just depends on how someone wants to market it.
>>
dune is literary
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.