[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this book? I liked it, it had really good parts,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Thoughts on this book?
I liked it, it had really good parts, but after reading four other novels by him, I think that this one didn't reach its full potential, and it wasn't as intense and satisfying as Dick's other works. And not because it lacked hallucinogenics on mars or endless reality crushes. Still a great book though.
>>
One of my favourite novels
>>
There was no point to it. Nothing happens
>>
the classic hugo is high as ass
>>
it was boring as fuck
>>
>>8416190
That's the point.
Even in a reality where the Axis powers won, life goes on.
>>
>>8416180

It's the only Dick book I've read. I hated it, but I'm not sure why.
>>
>>8416429
same, there was something unsettlingly insincere even from the first page
>>
>>8416429
>>8416587
>>8416214
>>8416190
>>8416180
You know, this is kind of interesting and I hope you don't think me insane.

Dick wrote the book using the I-Ching. He used it for all the major plot events. Every time the characters used the I-Ching, he actually took the I-Ching and put down what it said and incorporated it into the novel by interpreting it in his own way.

In the end, when Juliana meets Abendsen, the book becomes somewhat metafictional: it suggests an infinite loop. It suggests that the world in which the Allies won is the "true" world, which we ironically know it is since we're in this world, which creates a strange almost doomed sense of these characters reaching beyond the world of the book to the real world, and Abendsen himself being the mirror image of Dick.

Later on, Dick had a strange experience which any casual fan of him knows and concluded that alternate worlds as he talks about in his novels exist. Actually exist.

He also said that he came to believe that the I-Ching was the Devil, was evil. He said that he asked it if it was inspired by God after getting angry at it, it said no, he asked if it was from the Devil, he said that it implied it was.

He blamed the I-Ching for giving him occasionally good advice to lead him on, but wrecking him with awful advice sometimes, as he used it in real life when he couldn't make decisions. He likened this to the Devil/evil sometimes giving true information only to ensnare you even further with lies.

He blamed it for helping him write the novel, but ultimately failing to suggest any good ending at all. He blamed it for the bad ending (or non-ending) of the novel.

So, since P.K.D., in his later mystical phase, implied that he disowned TMITHC as a book written with the aid of the Devil, you guys may not be that far off in criticizing it, honestly.

Source: shitton of different interviews I read by him, I'm hooked on the guy, sue me.
>>
File: weirdo1.jpg (168KB, 530x698px) Image search: [Google]
weirdo1.jpg
168KB, 530x698px
>>8416601
You're right. I do remember reading this bit about that book. It's a cool story but who knows if it is true. It's kind of like this story in pic related.
>>
>>8416180
He didn't know how to end it.
>>
>>8416601
This is a great post. Can I get a list of those interviews to check them out?
>>
>>8416626
Exactly.

I can't objectively say whether it's true, but I really believe that Philip K. Dick at least BELIEVED it was true and perceived everything he said he did, he wasn't just a bullshitter, he was too sincere for that.
>>
>>8416654
Thank you.

http://www.philipkdickfans.com/literary-criticism/interviews/

It's a really interesting subject, I found reading his interviews almost as fun as reading his greatest books.
>>
>>8416601

That story was more worth reading than "The Man in the High Castle".
>>
>>8416667

stfu and die tripfag
>>
Not one of Dick's better efforts to be honest. Ubik is his best work.
>>
>>8416601
good post
>>
To be fair, the guy was completely insane.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.