[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain why these things are wrong: >reading for the plot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: canva-photo-editor.png (61KB, 178x184px) Image search: [Google]
canva-photo-editor.png
61KB, 178x184px
Explain why these things are wrong:

>reading for the plot
>prose is not the most important in a book
>I read to be entertained
>>
>>8415559
>Joyce
>what is it then?
>do what you want
>>
>>8415559
there's nothing wrong with those statements, although it's wrong to think it's the only way to get something from a book
>>
>reading for the plot

Best to just read for experience

I don't disagree in all cases

Good for you
>>
>>8415559
>reading for the plot
Plot is the lowest form of narrative. Not that plot "bad" per se, plot is necessary, it's what guides the narrative, it's the skeleton to the muscles and organs that are themes, prose, characterization, and philosophy, all of which are impossible without a plot to drive them. That said plot often offers the only thing it can, sensationalism, and offering nothing else's cheapens a work and it is less conducive to rereads.
What's the point of rereading a story that offers nothing but action scenes and plot twists? Simply experiencing a plot expires it's merit, whereas philosophy, allusion, empathetic characters, and prose keep a reader invested and willing to revisit a work.
Why would it be. That's like saying that the most important part of Bach's cello sonata is the cello. Prose is the voice, it's important in its own right, but it falls secondary to the content it carries. See Dostoyevsky.
There is nothing wrong with entertainment, but if that's the only reason you're reading that's like scraping frosting off a cake with your finger and saying you appreciate the culinary arts. Literature as a medium has so much more to offer than to simply amuse you.
Reading for entertainment is also conducive to developing awful taste and missing out on some dank shit
>>
>>8415618
Well said anon
>>
>>8415618
Learn English, retard.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.