[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Kafka.jpg (75KB, 495x660px) Image search: [Google]
Kafka.jpg
75KB, 495x660px
>One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die.

What did he mean by this?
>>
all life is suffering (4 truths)
instead of working through the understanding and reaching peace, why not die and skip all the work?
>>
>>8414171
really makes you think
>>
>>8414171
I think that's a too optimistic interpretation of that sentence. I think he pretty much regards modern life to be synonymous with, or inherently tied to, suffering/discontent/death wish, etc.
>>
it means alienation, obv
>>
I dont know but in terms of Kafka, the single most haunting part of the trial for me was the following exert.

>K. thought he had stepped into a meeting. A medium sized, two
windowed room was filled with the most diverse crowd of people - nobody
paid any attention to the person who had just entered. Close under its
ceiling it was surrounded by a gallery which was also fully occupied and
where the people could only stand bent down with their heads and their
backs touching the ceiling

>Many of them had
brought pillows that they had put between their heads and the ceiling so
that they would not hurt themselves pressed against it.

The strangeness will forever haunt me.

Kafka was a genius.
>>
who gives a shit? Kafka is a poor man's Joyce
>>
>>8414160

At least post the full quote

"“One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die. This life appears unbearable, another unattainable. One is no longer ashamed of wanting to die; one asks to be moved from the old cell, which one hates, to a new one, which one willl only in time come to hate. In this there is also a residue of belief that during the move the master will chance to come along the corridor, look at the prisoner and say: "This man is not to be locked up again, He is to come with me.”
>>
>>8414191
not modern life, just life.
>>
>>8414160
The wish to die to this world, to be born anew spiritually.

Alternatively, true understanding leads to suicidal despair. Which makes sense coming from a suicidally depressed man.

>>8415554
I dunno, man, why I'm even dignifying this with a response. How far people can be stuck up their asses sometimes surprises me. Joyce and Kafka have nothing in common, both entertained and moved me with their writings, and can't really be compared or one said to be better than the other since they're both such different and good (for me) writers.
>>
>>8415554
He's nothing like Joyce. There's nothing even to draw that comparison. Wacked.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.