[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literature is the creation of a narrative through the arrangement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

Literature is the creation of a narrative through the arrangement of words.

Typography is the creation of art through the arrangement of words.

My question is: does anyone know of a work that utilizes both? A piece of literature that utilizes a traditional narrative but enhances it with typography techniques such as utilization of white space, different font sizes, intentional omission of words, intentional duplications, non linear text, etc...?
>>
Utilize
Utilize
Utilize
>>
File: holquick.jpg (113KB, 468x685px) Image search: [Google]
holquick.jpg
113KB, 468x685px
House of Leaves
The Familiar volumes 1-27
The fifty year sword

All by Mark Z Danielewski
Lit considers such techniques to be gimmicks
>>
>>8411545
I for one think he's a really nice guy dedicated to his craft

Also, his sister is a hot musician
>>
>>8411545
>lit considers such techniques to be gimmicks
>lit
>An imageboard based on works that contain no images

lit is a gimmick
>>
>>8411570
I quite disagree with your statement, sir

Comics are a legitimate form of art and literature
>>
>>8411570
Your mother is a gimmick
>>
Drake's new album.
>>
File: vargalf.jpg (34KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
vargalf.jpg
34KB, 500x298px
>>8411520
I don't know of any OP, but please try to write a book in Comic Sans and come back to report how many acceptance letters you get.
>>
>>8411520
I don't have a specific book in mind OP but here's some guidelines to what's not a good book

A book with teenagers in it that does not have at least one girl with colored hair and tattoos with a smoking habit, is not a good book

A book that does not have at least one instance of someone getting killed, fucked, gipped, getting struck by terminal disease, maimed, is not a good book. People are sadistic bastards and want something to happen to someone because they never seem to get action in their petty, pathetic lives, or want to see someone getting scresed from the safety of their own bedroom.

If the subject matter does not involve some social injustice, it's not a good book

If it doesn't have an esoteric writing style, it's not a good book.

If the cute turtleneck sweater girl with the steampunk goggles and mousy hair and Nazi boots with the distressed leather miniskirt who is part of the literary club that you've been trying to get close to for the paat six months, that you've always wanted to nail is not reading it, it's probably not a good book. If the ex footballer gym rat she's fucking on an hourly basis reads it, it's probably a good book and he has better taste than you. Might as well castrate yourself now.

If the title of the book is not 'Infinite Jest' it's not a good book

I think this is accurate
>>
>>8411520
Idk if this is the best thread to post this in, but what do you think of this sentence in a paragraph.
The context is, the sister is telling the brother to hurry up and get in the car, the brother responds, "I have to go somewhere, hence the second car".
The setting is in Canada, so I'm not particularily sure about this choice of wording which sounds rather british.
>>
File: you-keep-using-that-word.jpg (36KB, 684x384px) Image search: [Google]
you-keep-using-that-word.jpg
36KB, 684x384px
>>8411581
>Comics are a legitimate form of literature

I dont think you know what literature means
>>
>>8411545
THis book was so much fun to read. It isn't very interesting upon a second reading but it was genuinely entertaining as fuck that first time through
>>
File: 14_mallarme-db-page.jpg (61KB, 530x360px) Image search: [Google]
14_mallarme-db-page.jpg
61KB, 530x360px
Mallarmé's poetry, anon.
>>
>>8411545
>Lit considers such techniques to be gimmicks
They're gimmicks because they're overused or fifty years late. It's not interesting when he does it.
>>
F U T U R I S M
U
T
U
R
I
S
M
>>
File: Ludovician.gif (2MB, 540x332px) Image search: [Google]
Ludovician.gif
2MB, 540x332px
>>8411520
The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall
>>
>>8411520
I've read both House of Leaves and Adam Thirwell's Kapow!

Both convinced me that this kind of typographical play is a last resort to publish a novel with otherwise bland plot, prose or tone.
>>
Look for Joseph Beuyz and Ulises Carrion works.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.