[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how many other Pynchon novels can we get? 1-2 maybe? another

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: Pynchon-simpsons.0.0.jpg (113KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Pynchon-simpsons.0.0.jpg
113KB, 1600x900px
how many other Pynchon novels can we get?
1-2 maybe? another collection of short stories?
he is 79...
>>
Exactly one.
>>
79 is too many. Probably just one more.
>>
They're all the same anyways
>>
>>8410921
>>8410922
so let's say one.

le'ts guess time period:
we already had, along with the 18th century (M&D) and the start of the 20th century (AtD), the 40s (GR), 50s (V), 60s (CL49), 70s (IV), 80s (Vineland), and 2000s (BE).

so a historical one, the 90s, or the present or...?
>>
I think if he did a Sherlock Holmes character but set it like a hundred years from now he'd have a hit on his hands.
>>
He could have some manuscripts from way back when. So I will guess 2 and 3 more posthumously.
>>
>>8410967
the 90s, set entirely in a 7/11
>>
>>8410997
hard sci-fi by Pinecone
insta-buy.
>>
>>8410997
This would be great.
>>8411002
Ya we do have that 17 year period to be excited about. Picasso was still painting when he was 90, maybe Pynchon will churn out another 3 books.
>>
>>8410967
He'll do what nobody expects of him and go paleolithic horror, thus slashing the hopes of every budding author on this board
>>
>>8411049
>paleolithic horror

>people disappears
>group of primitive folks hiding something
the dinosaurs are not dead
comet kills everyone
it's not actually the earth
>>
whatever it is, hopefully there's mention of the illuminaughty ;)
>>
Someone on /lit/ once said it could be a novel during the XVI century written in Elizabethan english about a spy by the jesuits or whatever trying to find out who's Shakespare, and going through the various conspiracies we have today.

This is what I wanted ever since
>>
it'll be a remake of the Illuminatus! Trilogy
>>
>>8410912
I don't think he's written a short story in decades so that's the least likely outcome.
>>
>>8410912
I'm guessing he dies before he releases anything else. Either that or he retires. Either way, who cares. Bleeding Edge was shit.
>>
>>8411421
He's no good without breathing space and he knows it.
>>
>>8411427
10% in.
liking it so far (better than Inherent Vice so far)
>>
>>8410997
>if he did a Sherlock Holmes character
But every one of his stories is already a detective story..? Slothrop searching for the 00000, Doc investigating the Golden Fang, Stencil trying to find V., etc.

Unless you mean a hyper-intelligent near-autist, in which case I doubt you've ever read one of his books because all his best characters are lovable doofuses with good social skills. Why would he change that now?
>>
>>8410997
>>
>>8411192
That was the fallout of Not-Pynchon's allusion to a Shakespeare-Breakspeare connection, which everyone lost their shit over despite the whole argument hinging on "This sounds like this so therefore this" and the pre-standardization of English. Same as the Tasso 'solution' to CoL49, which was a total non-story based on another slice of supposedly 'obscure' (courtesy of Wikipedia) trivia which amounted to X is a relation of Y, where Y only features in the novel to scale fictional Z, therefore X=AB...XYZ *wink wink*.
>>
It's gonna be about the civil war. Trust me.
>>
>>8411455
>all his best characters are lovable doofuses with good social skills
When are Slothrop's social skills ever shown? You just see people liking him, but before that... he's the autist keeping a map of imaginary shags at the office, what else?
Pig's "good social skills" are, uh, debatable
Weissman just freaks out everybody
Roger is a corny fuck-up
Pointsman is autismus maximus and barely a character
Jessica is even less of a character
Gottfried and Katje are empty, the latter is a spy so I guess she must be good at something though she's never shown leveraging anything other than being pretty
The Tchitcherine bros... one's a near-tribal leader with some authority so yes, the other has girlfriends all over but if we're going by that there isn't more on his side than Slothrop's, could just be his metal leg or whatever, those characters are only shown getting positive attention but no more than they'd get from just being an inoffensive weirdo in one case, having authority in the other, ...

Profane is an average bouncing stoner with no personality, Stencil is autismus prime

I'll grant you Maxine and Dixon, but that's about it
>>
>>8411601
>imaginary
[citation needed]
>>
V was a short story dumping ground and against the day was a dumping ground for literally everything he wrote that was publishable but unpublished
>>
>>8410967
science fiction set in the year 36.472-c
>>
>>8411002
maybe we'll get pandemonium of the sun in the near future
>>
It'd be great if we got 2 or 3 more, the last published in say 2022, on which it said "Thomas Pynchon (1937-2017) was an American writer."
>>
>>8410912
i think he's done. i'd love for another novel in the vein of Inherent Vice, but doubt that'll happen. however, i suggest rereading Against the Day or Gravity's Rainbow. AtD is like four novels in one and GR is such a spectacular work that it nearly eclipses everything that came after by the author. nearly. also, i think the less said about Bleeding Edge the better.
>>
>>8411709
>against the day was a dumping ground for literally everything he wrote that was publishable but unpublished
yeah, i can see how that could be. i still want a Chums of Chance series written by today's top authors. say, 12 books, 200 pages each. william gibson, cormac mccarthy, stephen king, denis johnson, karl knausgard, toni morrison, etc. not even joking.
>>
>>8411875
>Stephen King
>Toni Morisson
>John Green
>>
>>8411892
for shits and giggles, mate, not literary merit. shits and giggles. i'd love to read a breezy Chums of Chance adventure by King involving Lovecraftian elements or one by Morrison involving the underground railroad.
>>
>>8411855
>i think he's done
Why?
>>
>>8411941
personal opinion without any corresponding evidence to back it up or believe it other than my gut, tea leaves, and the powder formation at the end of a baggie of blow. he already climbed the mountain. as his final two novels have confirmed, he either no longer has the legs for another scale or doesn't care to do so. i say that as someone who loved Inherent Vice but found Bleeding Edge underwhelming to say the least. i think we have more of a chance of reading a new Philip Roth novel than a new Pynchon.
>>
>>8411436
This. Slow Learner was garbage.
>>
>>8411980
does this mean we should just start counting down the days til the next marlon james novel instead
>>
>>8411003

so in other words Clerks?
>>
>>8411990
have never read him. any good?
>>
>>8411493
> the entire thread went over your head
> tfw still no one has understood the Torquato Tasso theory

dumb fucks

should I make an infograph?
>>
>>8412361
go ahead Mr. Pynchon
>>
>>8411192
I'm going to write this.
>>
>>8412361

Why does it even matter?
>>
Maybe there's one more big historical novel waiting in the wings. I'd rather not have anything else in the style of Vineland and Bleeding Edge though.
>>
>>8412361
The Tassos founded Thurn & Taxis, a descendant went nutso in an tower. What, Oedipa was a thoroughbred all along or something?
>>
>>8411192
fuck sake that would be so good
>>
File: normans.jpg (13KB, 263x249px) Image search: [Google]
normans.jpg
13KB, 263x249px
>>8410912
he's been working on his final opus since before lot 49
>>
What was it? "The Case of the Japanese Insurance Adjuster"?
>>
Why does everybody hate Bleeding Edge ? What's wrong with it ?
>>
>>8412361
Please
>>
>>8411473

That's exactly what I had in mind.
>>
>>8413030
Nothing is wrong with it, it's just not as wacky and breezy as Inherent Vice so silly children on 4chan don't like it. Listen to the critics on this one.
>>
>>8413030
nothing is really wrong with it other than it's not as intriguing, silly, or compelling as his previous novels, but that's just my take. it's still a fun read, but the characters don't come alive as much as in his other novels. Bleeding Edge and V. are the only Pynchon novels i have no interest in rereading. i say give it a read and let /lit/ know what you think after.
>>
>>8414761
Why no interest rereading V. when you know what to skip?
>>
>>8410967
It'll be in the 19th century, and it'll be about a man who wakes up and finds a doorknob attached to the back of his head.
>>
>>8410912
his dad lived till he was 90 somthing
>>
>>8410912
one more, a sprawling masterpiece based on his favourite Scooby Doo episodes.
>>
>>8410922
underrated post
>>
>>8416156
Good to know, source?
>>
>>8410912
This is Pynchon's uncle. He will write two novels in the next four years. He will then distribute random pages of said novel to various unclean alleyways around the world. When he dies, half of his brain will be donated to meteorology. Everything I just said is completely false, including this statement.
>>
>>8417076
Trying too hard.

It's about the American civil war.
>>
>>8416210
>and I would have gotten away with it if it wouldn't have been for you Medellín kids!
>>
>>8417038
you can find the obituaries on line and do the math
>>
who cares?
his writing is shit
>>
File: kilroy.jpg (76KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
kilroy.jpg
76KB, 1600x1131px
>>8410967
>V.
>50's
fucking triggered

here's what you really have to know though:
>Other than TCoL49, all of his novels are set in the past, none in the present (or future)
>Other than V., all of his novels are predominantly set in the United States
So the scenarios you come up with should probably conform to that. That said, I think it's possible that he might write a novel set in medieval europe.

I think we'll either get one more that he decides himsefl will be his last, or we'll get one more and then an unfinished manuscript ten years after he dies. If he wants to be sentimental he'll set it during the time he was coming up in the 60s or in the mid 70s around the publication of GR.
>>
>>8410912
>1-2 maybe? another collection of short stories?
>he is 79...
He'll have a basement full of unpublished shit.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.