[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello all, I have recently been completely enamored with Blo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: 518aJh03fdL[1].jpg (34KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
518aJh03fdL[1].jpg
34KB, 334x500px
Hello all, I have recently been completely enamored with Blood Meridian as a work of art, and have attempted to synthesize a movie trailer for it. I was particularly inspired after seeing Franco's adaptation of the gunpowder scene (I was appalled at how poorly it conveyed the atmosphere of the book).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-PjtKLB_Mc

I took 6 different movies and went through each one 3 seconds at a time, noted down scenes I thought I could use, and then strung some together to make a more cohesive whole.
For music, I chose Swans, because their primal, chantlike, terrifying drones remind me of the vast American sunbaked waste that is so prominent in the book.
I also chose to use a slightly (10%) toneshifted and trimmed version of the monologue on war that the Judge delivers , courtesy of the audiobook.
I hope someone here likes it and can give some opinions on how close/far this hits the mark!
>>
>>8408337
>I was particularly inspired after seeing Franco's adaptation of the gunpowder scene
sauce?
>>
>>8408337
>>8408348
also you're video is very good
>>
>>8408337
is it being narrated by bane?
>>
>>8408337
Beautiful. Is this a school project or something? I really liked it.
>>
>>8408337
His judge was so retarded. And the whole thing was retarded. I wish I'd never seen it.

Nice job with the video, though, mate.

>>8408348
http://www.vice.com/read/james-francos-blood-meridian-test-656
>>
>>8408337
Well done. What song is this?
>>
>>8408353
thanks anon, other anon was kind enough to link it
>>8408359
bane's voice honestly would've been better for this, I was unhappy with the narrator's timbre/intonation at times
>>8408370
thanks anon! nope, just because I wanted to make it
>>8408413
made me really unhappy when I watched Franco's version, thanks friend
>>8408419
Frankie M by Swans!
>>
there's an album based on it called blood meridian on electric guitar or something like that. it's on bandcamp
>>
Pretty good. I don't think the music fits though. Definitely does capture the book's tone better than Franco's abomination.
>>
>>8408482
Thanks for watching!

Can you be specific on why you think the music doesn't fit? I actually came up with the idea while listening to it. Personally, I felt that the tribal, long, mournful drones, and then the frenetic, brutal, terrifying, and relentless squall fit in very well. Other albums on the soundtrack would be Hex by Earth, F#A# infinity, The Seer, etc.
>>
>>8408587
Swans have that apocalyptic feeling more than any other band I can think of, especially their recent stuff
>>
So who do we think is the best possible director for a film like this? Coen Brothers?
>>
>>8408425
>Frankie M by Swans!
>tfw i witnessed the first ever performance of that song
>>
>>8408623
>>8408714
Michael Gira actually mentioned Cormac McCarthy as an influence
>>
File: 1457696670211.jpg (51KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1457696670211.jpg
51KB, 550x550px
>>8408723
The Earth album Hex; Or Printing in the Infernal Method is directly inspired by Blood Meridian, as well.
>>
>>8408413
>http://www.vice.com/read/james-francos-blood-meridian-test-656
Haven't watched it yet, but why the hell is he calling McCarthy's prose 'terse'? That's such an inappropriate description. God I hate Franco; he already butchered The Sound and the Fury, one of my favorite books.

Also, OP, it looks really good. Nice job. I think that the Swans track fits well
>>
>>8408767
he butchered as I lay dying too
>>
>>8408737
Yes!! I had listened to Hex a few years ago and read about the titles and forgotten completely about it until I read Blood Meridian this last month.
>>8408700
Coen Brothers, Terrence Malick, Nicolas Winding Refn, and Alfonso Cuaron are commonly thrown out names. Ridley Scott and John Hillcoat as well.
>>8408714
I'm seeing them next month, hyyyyype
That first performance must've been unreal
>>8408723
Yes, he talks about Blood Meridian firing off his synapses!
>>8408767
thanks man, I hated the Franco adaptation, and terse is a terrible overall descriptor of McCarthy's writing.
>>
>>8408783
>I'm seeing them next month, hyyyyype
>That first performance must've been unreal
To be honest, it was a terrifying experience. They played some Johnny Cash songs before they came on and then started playing improvisational noise over Johnny Cash, which eventually got to ridiculous volumes that climaxed when Gira began his incoherent screaming into the microphone. I couldn't tell you whether he was actually saying real words because of how loud it was. My advice is to bring the strongest pair of earplugs you can find, or you will regret it.
>>
Nuri Bilge Ceylan would be a dream director for me. But I doubt he would ever be considered.
Otherwise Paul Thomas Anderson is an obvious choice based on There Will Be Blood.
Andrew Dominik or John Hillcoat could also be great. Purely based on their modern 'westerns'.
>>
>>8408770
It's like the man is on a quest to ruin all of the South's greatest novels.

After watching about five minutes of Franco's Blood Meridian before turning it off (DUDE HANDHELD CAMERAS LMAO), and seeing how badly the dude playing the Judge fit the character, I realize that Brando would have probably made for a really good Holden. Brando always had tremendous presence, which is what you need for the Judge. Only bit lacking would be that his voice didn't have the right timbre/tenor.
>>
>>8408337
i recognize scenes from bone tomahawk
>>
>>8408337
faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 580x387px
Really nice. I think if anything the dialogue was too fast/not enough spacing. Music fit well I thought.

What film(s) are the gory scenes taken from?
>>
File: cast.png (81KB, 575x217px) Image search: [Google]
cast.png
81KB, 575x217px
>>
>>8408587
The music just sounds cheesy to me. I don't know how else to put it. I'm biased since my ideal soundtrack for an adaptation would be as minimalist as possible and wouldn't use any modern instruments.
>>
>>8408854

i mean you're not wrong

>>8408822
yes! it was an okay movie I thought, not fantastic, but well done

>>8408791
yeah i'm buying special earplugs for that haha

>>8408962
Yeah I was struggling to figure out how to split up the dialogue, that's good to know, thanks!
Bone Tomahawk/The Burrowing/The Proposition were the bulk of the gory stuff I think, mostly Bone Tomahawk. It's really hard to find visually good material of scalping, much less settlers hunting down natives.

>>8409042
fair enough, use some singing bowls like in No Country for Old Men? That was an auditory fuckin experience.
>>
>>8408962
Who is this man? I like his face.
>>
>>8409042
Yeah I mean some sinister minimalist Native American drum or something would be nice. But as modern music goes, I was ok with this.
>>
>>8409042
>>8409101
Agreed. No Country For Old Men was an unbelievably good McCarthy adaption. If anyone makes Blood Meridian I would hope it's the Coen Brothers or at least someone who takes note from them.
>>
File: 1375454289388.jpg (58KB, 633x754px) Image search: [Google]
1375454289388.jpg
58KB, 633x754px
>>8408337
>there will never be a Blood Meridian film adaption worth watching

Good job, but it just reminds me of what will never be.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.