[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want some suggestions of deeply metaphorical and poetic poems,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

I want some suggestions of deeply metaphorical and poetic poems, plays, novels, short stories, etc: in short, it can be either verse or prose, but with lots of imagery.

I want to read things in the same style of the Shakespearean language. I have some finginds of my own that I would like to give as examples: some are more bold and exuberant, some more classical, but all of them quite poetic. Here:

>Lolita
>Moby Dick
>Memoirs of Hadrian
>Some short stories of Isaac babel
>Aeschylus plays
>Some of Neruda poems
>Some of Coleridge poems
>Baker’s The Peregrine
>Some passages of Homer

Sophocles, Euripides, Pindar, Virgil, Dante, Pynchon, most of Joyce apart from some brilliant excerpts, Faulkner, all of them have been disappointments for me, because I expected a much more metaphorical and image-colored language. Not saying they are bad writers, not at all, just that they are not quite what I was looking for.
>>
Under The Volcano - Malcolm Lowry
The poetry of Cesar Vallejo.
Flowers of Evil - Charles Baudelaire.
Suttree, Blood Meridian - Charles McCarthyite.
>>
>>8408065
Read Nightwood by Djuna Barnes
>>
>>8408105

Nightwood is a 1936 novel by Djuna Barnes first published in London by Faber and Faber.

Nightwood is one of the earliest prominent novels to portray explicit homosexuality between women, and can be considered lesbian literature.[1][2]

It is also notable for its intense, gothic prose style.[2] The novel employs modernist techniques such as its unusual form or narrative and can be considered metafiction,[3] and it was praised by other modernist authors including T. S. Eliot, who wrote an introduction included in the 1937 edition published by Harcourt, Brace.

Eliot wrote in his introduction that "... it is so good a novel that only sensibilities trained on poetry can wholly appreciate it."

seems very good ;)
>>
>>8408105
>Nightwood by Djuna Barnes

“You beat the liver out of a goose to get a pâté; you pound the muscles of a man's cardia to get a philosopher.”
>>
>>8408101
>The poetry of Cesar Vallejo.

Please, talk more about him: he seems to be a great poet. Can you say what are, in your view, his strongest points? And what are your favorite poems by him?

I found a good volume of his work:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Poetry-Bilingual-C%C3%A9sar-Vallejo/dp/0520261739

Peruvian expatriate César Vallejo was a major poet, known for the authenticity and originality of his work. Deeply rooted in his mixed European and Peruvian Indian heritage, his poetry expressed universal themes related to the human condition. Sometimes called a surrealist poet, “Vallejo created a wrenching poetic language for Spanish that radically altered the shape of its imagery and the nature of its rhythms. No facile trend setter, Vallejo forged a new discourse in order to express his own visceral compassion for human suffering,” Edith Grossman writes in Los Angeles Times Book Review. “A constant feature of his poetry is a compassionate awareness of and a guilt-ridden sense of responsibility for the suffering of others,”

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poets/detail/caesar-vallejo
>>
>>8408065

bump for interest
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.