[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yesterday i opened a thread asking for opinions about this book.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: img-thing[1].jpg (37KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing[1].jpg
37KB, 300x300px
Yesterday i opened a thread asking for opinions about this book. Well, im 100 pages in and i can tell that this book is one of the best things i've ever read, just wanted to recommend it to you guys, specially if you love Iceland or Nordic culture and landscapes.
>>
What is it about? I'm interested.
>>
OP, I really praise you for trying to start new discussions here.
Yesterday I was watching that thread, I didn't commented because I haven't read the book. And probably other anons were also interested and didn't commented for the same reason.

Here in /lit/ we are trapped to discuss memebooks only, and that's sad.
>>
File: IMG_4210[1].jpg (76KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4210[1].jpg
76KB, 1600x1200px
>>8407691
>Independent People (original title: Sjálfstætt Fólk) is the tragedy of a man who is proud enough to sacrifice everything. It tells the story of Bjartur of Summerhouses, his family (especially his daughter, Ásta Sóllilja) and the 'world war' they wage against the harsh Icelandic landscape in which they live and the demons, imaginary or otherwise, that inhabit it. Bjartur has spent 18 years scraping together enough money to buy his own croft (a croft that is supposedly haunted by a ghost destined to bring failure to all who try and farm there) and is determined at all costs that he and his new wife Rósa will live as independent people. He is stoical beyond belief, often frustrating the reader to tears with his stubborn refusal to deviate from his principles, to the detriment of his wives and children.
>>
>>8407741
I like it already. Is this the kind of book that demands some background reading?
>>
Yeah I saw this on here yesterday and looked it up. Plan on reading it too.
>>
>>8407769
Start with the sagas

I mean, I felt so excited when I thought of that joke. It's funny, you have to admit. Start with the greeks, start with the sagas, I'm really just confirming my (and your, since you also find it funny) membership of this community and therefore escaping my bitter loneliness, feels so good, thanks for reading!
>>
>>8407769
no you should be fine, I jumped right in just knowing some basic Icelandic geography and culture.

it's really long and gets slow at some points, but overall a great read. It ends nicely.
>>
>>8407796
cld u smrize d plt in 3 lins'o'grntxt pls?
>>
Hljóðs bið ek allar
helgar kindir,
meiri ok minni
mögu Heimdallar;
viltu at ek, Valföðr,
vel fyr telja
forn spjöll fira,
þau er fremst of man.
>>
File: 45907417[1].jpg (83KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
45907417[1].jpg
83KB, 720x960px
what a shame that all of the spanish editions of the book are ugly as fuck
>>
>>8407909
I liked that other version better. ; ^ D
>>
>>8407916
:3 hahaha.

fucking ctrl+c
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.