[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, Lit, I was hoping you could help me understand this book.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (291KB, 965x947px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291KB, 965x947px
Hi, Lit, I was hoping you could help me understand this book. I see it discussed on this board and often regarded as quite good, but I understand that it references a lot of other works, without much explaination, like Family Guy. I actually quite enjoy this style of humor, but it is only funny to me if I understand the reference. Would someone please tell me what are all books and things you had to read first to understand everything that was going on? Thanks!
>>
Odyssey, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Hamlet are a must. I'd say these are enough to get a basic grasp, but there's so much more to read if you want to get it more. For example, lots of Irish history, and world history too, other Shakespeare's work, certain poets (Yeats, Keats etc) and so on and so forth.
Don't be discouraged when you realize that you won't get it all, nobody ever does. I'm sure Joyce put in some personal things which no one would get other than him.
>>
>>8407449
What do you mean by "get it all"?
>>
http://blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/
>>
You don't need to understand all the references or, even, any of them.
You don't need to read the Odyssey. If you do not have chapter titles (which normally aren't in the text) or do not look up the Linati or Gilbert schema on your own side, there will be very little that you can link with the Odyssey in Ulysses. It's a structural curiosity regarding the whole more than a truly meaningful aspect of the text you will be reading.
You will understand things quicker and easier if you read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Consider it the prequel to half of Ulysses.
There is one chapter which will not mean much to you without knowledge of Hamlet.

If there is something specific you feel you're not getting but want to, check out an annotated version. I thought there was one online similar to Finnegans Wake but this is the best I could find:
>http://www.columbia.edu/~fms5/ulys.htm
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.