[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oooh baby I haven't read prose this good since I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (19KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 181x279px
Oooh baby I haven't read prose this good since I've read Joyce.

What are some other books that are similar to Joyce's or Woolf's in terms of the richness of the prose?

Nabokov comes to mind, but who else?
>>
>>8406380
Proust
>>
>>8406383
Worst meme on this board.
>>
>>8406380
mason and dixon is really nice.
>>
>>8406393
Proust's prose actually is good, though.

>>8406380
Wuthering Heights has masterful prose. I can't get enough of it, which is why it's a shame that she died so young.
>>
>>8406404
>Proust's prose actually is good, though.
Not in French, it isn't.
>>
>>8406380
Faulkner hits some of the same notes for me as Joyce, Woolf and Nabokov. Unfortunately his true stream-of-consciousness sections are generally pretty short, though I haven't read Absalom, Absalom! and it's supposed to be more "difficult" than his others. As I Lay Dying was fantastic, better than The Sound and the Fury in my opinion.

Just picked up The Waves from the library, pretty excited to get into it.
>>
>>8406536
As I lay dying was incredible, it's the only Faulkner I've read but I'm in love. I'm not sure where to go next though
>>
>>8406540
Have you read To the Lighthouse by Woolf?

It doesn't have any of the Southern Gothic stuff going on, but it does focus on a mother and how her life affects those around her.

At least for me they were both able to evoke similar, overpowering emotions and a strange and indescribable feeling that only Faulkner and Woolf have given me (so far).
>>
>>8406380
if you want something really wonky check out Woolf's early short stories....tough but lots of cool moving pieces to them. as far as other authors, like other anons have said check out Faulkner, maybe Cane by Jean Toomer, too (same era, similar style at points).
>>
>>8406380
post an excerpt?
>>
Can't wait to read this book. Already read Mrs Dalloway and Orlando, Woolf is simply brilliant.
>>
File: 1470168077819.gif (1017KB, 126x168px) Image search: [Google]
1470168077819.gif
1017KB, 126x168px
>>8406380
>when you have to move the tree right THERE
>>
>>8406536
Ayy, Faulkner ftw.

>As I Lay Dying was fantastic, better than The Sound and the Fury in my opinion.
That's certainly defensible. Though for my money, his single best passage of writing is the second section of The Sound and the Fury. He totally out-Joyces Joyce IMO.
>>
Ayyy I just started To the Lighthouse two days ago. It's the first Woolf I've read and wow her prose is fucking majestic. I keep reading certain paragraphs and sentences over and over again because I'm just blown away by the complexity of their structure, it's great
>>
Henry Green
>>
>>8407743
I completely agree. I read As I Lay Dying before The Sound and the Fury and once I got to the second section of TSatF I was certain it was better than AILD, but the second section was such a tease! Nothing after it compared, though I did enjoy it all the way through.
>>
>>8406380
I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow at the moment, the prose is some good shit.
>>
Faulkner
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.