[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really the best science book ever written? >On Oct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: book1_1_905.jpg (325KB, 905x641px) Image search: [Google]
book1_1_905.jpg
325KB, 905x641px
Is it really the best science book ever written?

>On October 19, 2006 the Royal Institution of Great Britain named The Periodic Table, by Primo Levi, the best science book ever. After taking nominations from many scientists in various disciplines, authors, and other notable people (such as the Archbishop of Canterbury) the Royal Institution compiled a shortlist of books for consideration. This shortlist was presented to the public at an event held at Imperial College and the audience voted to determine which book was "the best."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Periodic_Table_(book)
>>
>>8404828
literally what ?
>>
>>8404869
>Writer Primo Levi (1919-1987), an Italian Jew, did not come to the wide attention of the English-reading audience until the last years of his life. A survivor of the Holocaust and imprisonment in Auschwitz, Levi is considered to be one of the century's most compelling voices, andThe Periodic Tableis his most famous book. Springboarding from his training as a chemist, Levi uses the elements as metaphors to create a cycle of linked, somewhat autobiographical tales, including stories of the Piedmontese Jewish community he came from, and of his response to the Holocaust.
>>
>>8404905
Ah, now it makes sense. Saged.
>>
>>8404914
Wow. Antisemitism doesn't belong here, pol. Ugh. Ah. Ooh.
>>
>>8404921
it's not even antisemitism

we're talking /lit/ value here, holocaust-based novels are all hardcore shilling with no literary merit
>>
>>8404925
primo levi is actually patrician as fuck

there's no victimizing or anything of the sort, and his work is based firmly on the literary tradition.

primo levi can recite dante by heart. what have you done bucko?
>>
>>8404928
I didn't experience an oven ;)
>>
>>8404925
You know nothing about literature if you haven't heard of primo levi.

>literature based around thing I disagree with MUST be nothing but shilling.
>>
>>8404946
;)
>>
File: issou.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
issou.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>8404940
neither did he
>>
>>8404951
but his family did XD
>>
File: Paloué.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Paloué.webm
1MB, 854x480px
>>8404966
>>
>>8404925
that's the dumbest opinion I've ever read in this board. It's not really but I just wanted you to know it's a dumb opinion
>>
>>8404928
Correct. Levi is based & patrician.
>>
...so is the book good?
>>
>>8404828
it's certainly a great cover, and that's how I judge most of the books I read
>>
>>8404928
This. Levi is an incredibly good writer.
>>
>>8404828
It's a great book but it's hardly a science book.
>>
>>8404828
>>8404928
Wait can I actually learn science from this or is it just muh concentration camp the book?
>>
>>8404828

I liked Tranquil Star, so maybe I'll check this shit out
>>
File: the-emperor-of-all-maladies.jpg (27KB, 394x600px) Image search: [Google]
the-emperor-of-all-maladies.jpg
27KB, 394x600px
>>8406286
This. This is probably great literature but if there's no actual science, or history of science, in it, I'd hardly class it as a Science Book.

A science book is something like pic related, or A Brief History Of Time.
>>
It's a good read, but the end is a bit lightweight.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.