[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, aside from materialistic fetishism, is there any benefit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
So, aside from materialistic fetishism, is there any benefit to reading a physical book over a Kindle/e-reader book?
>>
A sense of progression
>>
>>8404780
Do you read a book to finish it or to enjoy it?
>>
>>8404763
Ease of taking and keeping notes inside (and referencing those notes with context later).
>>
>>8404783
I don't read. I only shit post on lit
>>
>>8404763
It's much easier to flip to different parts for reference. Novels with annotations (like Infinte Jest and Pale Fire) are annoying to read in kindles. I also sometimes like rereading earlier passages for clarification of a current passage or theme and the kindle makes that much more difficult.
>>
>>8404784
Which makes them way easier to teach from as well. It's difficult to flip back and forth through books of poetry, for example. Just have to keep mashing a button until you get there instead of using a bookmark/post-it note in a physical book.
>>
Having a bunch of physical books makes grills think I'm clever
>>
>>8404784
>>8404793
Sure, I guess certain, subjective preferences are made easier with a tactile book - but do you think there is a stark difference in retention or comprehension between a Kindle and physical book?
>>
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563204000202
>The results show that performance in the VDT presentation condition were inferior to that of the Paper presentation condition for both consumption and production of information.
Good enough reason for me.
>>
>>8404806
Given that note-taking is a big part of my own retention and comprehension, yeah, it does matter for me. Highlighting passages (which is about all I've found I can do for ebook notes) just doesn't give the same level of engagement with the text for me.
>>
>>8404763
There's a tactile element to holding a physical book that's pleasurable to some weirdos in and of itself. There's also an aesthetic, decorative element to having a book collection that many people enjoy.
>>
>>8404810
that also happens when taking notes in classes, when you writing on paper helps you memorizing/learning, unlike taking notes in a notebook
>>
>>8404806
Nothing to that extreme, no. Reading on electronics can present with more distractions as you have more access to different media, but with a physical book you cannot.

Being a poor med student who pirates a good chunk of his books, I had no difficulty studying with pdfs on my computer. It is also easier to access journals online and most of that reading is delegated to the computer.

Computer backlight has strain the eyes a bit, but a kindle doesn't have it.

Go for it, familia.
>>
>>8404763
The only objective benefits are not having to worry about battery life, and having an ability to loan or sell your collection
>>
>>8404763
>buying a Kindle/e-reader isn't materialistic fetishism
>>
>>8404846
This is a big benefit to e-books and PDFs: they're cheap.

Especially the classics which are almost free-$1.99. Or, you can even just pirate any book you like.

A good option for poor students/people in general who are looking to increase how much they read.
>>
>>8404763
Spatial memory. Handling paper regularly also diminishes the readability of your fingerprints, and books can provide not just insulation but also bulletproofing.
>>
>>8404853
i think he meant that a big argument in favor of books over e-readers is that there is something "nice" about holding a tangible book. more about aesthetic probably
>>
>>8404858
Well, libraries are free too. Cost should never be a hindrance to how much you can read.
>>
>>8404860
>Handling paper regularly also diminishes the readability of your fingerprints
Wait, really?
>>
>>8404868
Lol but the reality of the situation is that they sometimes are unfortunately. Libraries are free, yes, but they don't have everything.

My local library for example has a very limited selection.
>>
>>8404878
Don't they do interlibrary loaning?
>>
>>8404876
Yeah, it used be a problem for secretaries especially because it's minorly abrasive and absorbs oils as well. Google it if you don't believe, but you need many hours a day reading/handling paper for it to work.
>tfw my last job had fingerprint sign-in/sign-out and they needed to make a special system to account for my hours
>>
>>8404882
I guess - but a benefit to cheap books on an e-reader is that you get them immediately.
>>
>>8404890
pure ideology
>>
>>8404892
lol
>its a rainy day
>i want to read X book
>i don't have X book
>library does not have X book and needs to order it
>i cannot read X book

OR

>i want to read X book
>i don't have X book
>I have a Kindle
>it has X book for free
> start reading

it's practical
>>
>>8404858
Are e-books cheap? Only public domain ones are free. Everything written post-1920s not only tends to be about the same price as their paperback editions, but you can often find used copies for much cheaper. For example, an ebook version of Love In the Time of Cholera is $11.99 on amazon, while the paperback is $9.52, and I bought a copy in a used bookstore for about $2.
>>
>>8404908
but it's not even raining, anon
>>
You can pirate books for free on Kindle, that immediately makes it superior than anything else.
>>
>>8404941
>I'm too scared to steal from bookstores.
>>
>>8404793
This. Complex novels benefit from the ability to browse them around, going back and forth.

>>8404800
also this
>>
>>8404793
This is the big difference. Search is good, but flipping lets you find that thing you weren't sure you were looking for.
>>
>>8404793
end and footnotes can work perfectly on kindle, its just that most are terribly fomatted
>>
https://stallman.org/ebooks.pdf
>>
>>8405315
that's pretty autistic senpai.
>>
>>8405315
To be honest if they haven't tracked you already, and if you used Amazon before (or any email based thing for that matter) they know who you are.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.