[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

There so many schools of philosophy, how do I choose which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: angry_pepe[1].jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe[1].jpg
40KB, 900x900px
There so many schools of philosophy, how do I choose which is the best for me.
>>
>>8404681
>choosing a school of philosophy
you've already lost the game before you even started
>>
>>8404681
Choose the closest to your mom's house.
>>
>>8404681
You make your own by endlessly exploring and criticizing and inventing, or you don't because why
>>
Philosophy is love of wisdom. To be a true lover of wisdom, one must believe in the existence of wisdom and truth. Plato makes this abundantly clear in his writings; there is an ethical tension between truth and falsehood that must be overcome with a "leap of faith" to use Kierkegaard's parlance. Reading Parmenides' On Nature might also be instructive. There is the "way of truth" and the "way of opinion". The latter way, of course, leads nowhere.
>>
>>8404711
>existence of wisdom and truth

But aren't there any thinkers who deny the existence of both, or even the existence of anything? I mean, you take any proposition, and you'll find an opposite one to it, this is why this is so frustrating,
>>
>>8404743
Well, you can be a postmodernist nihilist existentialist sophist if you want but I'm just telling you how to become a real philosopher. There's a reason it's said that all of western philosophy is footnotes to Plato.
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8404681
Egoism
>>
>>8404687
>tfw local philosophy factory broke down
>>
Read every philosophy book ever written and choose your favourite

Neoplatonism.
>>
>>8404681
Go STEM
>>
>>8404687
>>8404782
My second laff of the day,
>>
>>8404687
dying
>>
What branch of philosophy are you most interested in (ontology, epistemology, ethics, etc)?
>>
>>8404756
Please tell us why daddy Plato is so infallible that anyone who disagrees with him is a nihilistic sophist.
>>
You choose stoicism because it is objectively superior.
>>
Aristotelian Marxism.
>>
Choose? For what? It's not a t-shirt, you know.
Just research about all of them and think by yourself.
>>
>>8404743
Philosophy is about reconciling opposites.

>>8404681
Philosophy is an approach, not a field of study.

>>8406414
The fulfillment of man's faculty of reason, I would call it. But even so, it is only one path among many.
>>
>>8406420
That was an aristocracy desu. Actual Marxism wouldn't work because the elites would be far too distanced from the masses to form an effective government.
>>
>>8404711
>committing philosophical suicide
Not even once, mon ami
>>
>>8406420
Nah son, Aristotelianism is literally perfect, everything since then has been people misinterpreting the master (with the exception of tommy boy from aquino)
>>
>>8406403
He's saying that you can't really hold multiple conflicting philosophical views ya dingus.
>>
Philosophy is an academic discipline that is aimed at clarifying "fundamental" questions by utilitizing reasoned argument, logic, dialectics etc.

There is a large difference between the ancient/medieval meanings of philosophy and the modern one. Modern philosophy doesn't encompass all knowledge, nor does it necessarily imply absolute foundations of truth. The other anon said that you need to be a Platonist to be a philosopher, which is clearly wrong, most thinkers in the analytic tradition would deny what Plato defines as philosophy. You can still focus on ontology, the philosophy of god, ethics, of course, they're not invalid fields. But every major thinker has had his own conception of what is the "real deal", so we must encompass these various views if we want to get anywhere.
>>
>>8404711
You're correct in part, RE: "love of wisdom", but that seems to mean recognition of one's lack of wisdom (cf. Symposium). One need not postulate that wisdom and truth "exist" (the meaning of that even would need to be investigated), but certainly one is to inquire in the hopes of gaining wisdom.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
>>8404681

>philosophy
>not STEM

I've read all there is to read about philosophy in my spare time. meanwhile you can dedicate your entire life to a very niche part of science and there would still be things to discover
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.