[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey Lit, what is it with all these British pulp authors and comic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Elric-of-Melnibone.jpg (76KB, 352x600px) Image search: [Google]
Elric-of-Melnibone.jpg
76KB, 352x600px
Hey Lit, what is it with all these British pulp authors and comic book writers who imagine themselves to be the next Marlowe? Where the hell did they come from? Are they simple hucksters or do they really think their stories about Judge Dredd or magic heroin dens in a parallel London, or some other overwrought nonsense is high art?
>>
why do you care

this isn't as gratuitous as it seems. they have as much justification for thinking whatever they might have thought as you have for caring about it
>>
>>8402395
They probably enjoy the subject.
>>
Only Neil Gaiman/Alan Moore consider what they do high art. The rest are just writing pulp novels because that's another way to earn money. The comic book industry is dominated by Marvel/DC and their contracts are shit and they treat people like shit. So when you have a non-super hero story your only options are Dark Horse or Image. Image will get you more publicity but you end up having to pay for a lot of your own money upfront for them to publish it. Dark Horse is only being kept afloat by Hellboy and his various spinoffs and Conan. So writing a novel is the cheapest way to actually sell a piece of non-super hero work.
>>
>>8402395
Moorcock was a founder of the Sci-Fi New Wave movement, which reacted against its pulp schlock reputation by trying to write literary fiction inside the genre.

I want to say his reach exceeded his grasp, but really I don't even think it was a very good idea to begin with.

Unfortunately the style has come back into vogue recently.
>>
>>8402395
What makes you say "the next Marlowe?"
>>
>>8402411
Mostly the stuff that British, Scottish and Irish people write is supposed to be like, "I really enjoyed this genre in the past. Now it's all decaying. I better shake things up a bit. Deconstruction. Retroactive Continuity. Multiverses. Metanarrative. Social commentary"

Gaiman, Moore,Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Peter Milligan, Garth Ennis, Kieron Gillen, etc all are some sort of crazy hive mind.

Still Better Than American Comic Writers Though
>>
File: wat_finland2.jpg (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
wat_finland2.jpg
48KB, 250x250px
>>8402437

yfw the new wave movement was forty-four years ago
>>
>>8402679
Too true. What puzzles me is that Americans can do it well while Brits just fall on their faces and laugh. I mean compare Discworld and Hitchhiker's Guide to Blood Meridian and House of Leaves.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.