[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have candid discourse on Rodger's "My Twisted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1467569238803.png (245KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
1467569238803.png
245KB, 300x450px
Can we have candid discourse on Rodger's "My Twisted World"?

I frankly think this work was incredibly valuable and cogent. We have novels like American psycho that described and critiqued the 'perfect' capitalist vitruvian man, from the inside. But this work explores with great candor how it is to be on the outside peering in and wishing to partake in the hedonism.

Rodger's story is an unhinged diatribe, true. But if you read it more deeply you can see a quite logical exposé of some of our modern society's norms. For example, Rodger touches on how sex and how it is distributed is incredibly primitive and archaic. Intelligence means nothing, only looks and power. And many people are the losers in the sexual game, as the poor are losers in the capitalism rat race. Through the book we see rodger driven insane by social alienation.

It really evinces some uncomfortable truths about society. We are told to be sympathetic for the financially poor and indigent. But when it comes to sex and the sexual and social economy we detest the aggrieved losers and venerate the strong because of our indelible primate instincts. Why does Chad, for example, 'deserve' his position any more than George Soros and the Koch brothers deserve their massive amount of capital and power over others at their expense?

It's clear there will be more Elliot rodgers. I firmly believe that if he had a decent childhood and got laid he would not have gone on his homicidal rampage. But if we just dismiss rodger's work instead of reading it closely and drawing parallels to the growing contingent of angry, virgin nerds, social losers in the modern computer-aided social meat market where social capital and appearance all that matters, more people will be killed.
>>
>>8401797
The work is an abysmal mess in itself, but I completely agree with what you are saying. Someone needs to write a novel about an Eliot Rodger, he would have to be made far more intelligent and interesting though. Eliot was a despicable autist, but the point that the sexual revolution has lead to an increase in virginity is not invalidated by his own awful personality.
>>
>he missed the repressed faggotry in both American Psycho and My Twisted World
>he's even OP
please start sucking cocks for your personal mental health.
>>
>>8401804
Exactly. Critiquing his prose and reading it like a novel is a mistake. You have to read it like a critique of sexual capitalism and social alienation in the modern era.

We need to find ways to help socially retarded losers like Elliot rodger integrate into society before they cause some real damage.
>>
>>8401813
So many lives could have been saved if only Eliot had downloaded grindr
>>
>>8401815
you're going to be choking faggots in bathrooms soon with this shallow reading
>>
I thought the essay/diary/whatever it was was very interesting, though more so as a psychological portrait. Nothing he said about society was remotely new, everybody knows these things we just don't mention them.

The extent to which that kid did not understand social interactions actually frightened me, his depiction of his life was like some kind of horror story, this fragile emotional child surrounded by people he cannot communicate with, whose motives are alien to him, who treat him more or less with complete contempt. And his wealth almost makes it worse, because his family will support him he just lives this complete non-existence, distracting himself from his pain with video games, eventually alcohol. The episodes where he tries to interact with people at parties are the clearest examples of his total inability to function socially.

That text bothered me more than almost anything I've read. It was like some hellish dream of a life, there was no actual tragedy, nothing actually happened in his life, just this endless confused frustration and anxiety.
>>
>>8401871
>eventually alcohol.
lol i forgot about the trying to get drunk scene.
>>
My Twisted World is one of the few cases that an actual psychopath shared his mindset and worldview with everybody else in the most honest and unadulterated manner possible. Everything recorded in that book is based on actual experience and is not an artificial reconstruction like American Psycho or any other novel. My Twisted World is so unique in nature that there is no other way for it but to stand the test of time. It details a tragic character's descent into homicidal madness. Dissecting the prose for being sophomoric is completely misguided- the book is a cultural relic of the beta male generation, and it deserves to be preserved in the annals of history.
>>
>>8401889
>I don't know what a psychopath actually is the post
>>
>>8402113
Schizoid, whatever. Don't be so clinical in your definitions.
>>
>>8401820
Elliot was very likely completely straight.

Bateman, on the other hand, was 100% pure homo
>>
My Twisted World is black comedy gold. Modern day Notes from the Underground, Elliot's philosophy may not completely align with that of the underground man, but that is because both characters are critiques of the societies that created them. Not being edgy by comparing fiction and reality here, NftU makes it clear at the beginning that the Underground Man must be real, as real as Eliot is to us today. Like in NftU, MTW is really a story in two parts: the actual text is the part where we see the workings of the characters mind, as he addressed us directly and makes a paradoxical case for his madness, dicussing the sad state of his life. Act two is when we see how this mindset applies itself in reality. For MTW act 2 was the shooting itself, which was pretty comically underwhelming compared to what was actually outlined in the book.
>>
Houellebecq already did it and better in my opinion. He also explicitly explained the link between modern sexual dynamics and capitalism.
>>
>>8401797
Cogent, no. Valuable and interesting yes. Tragic too, since he actually believed the stupid shit he wrote.

And that's where the value is. If an author had written this ironically, and polished it a bit more, it could have actually had literary merit. The extreme self absorption as a counter against the spirit of nihilistic capitalism eroding the levees of a man's sanity, the moving from ramblings about sending all women to concentration camps to reviewing a children's movie he saw on a plane. There is not a scrap of legitimacy or honesty in this sad being, he was raised in Hollywood around actors, he never came into his own but rather assembled a collection of shabby masks which he could wear. He quoted Anakin Skywalker and WoW characters in his videos, the way in which he communicated therein gave off the impression that he believed that everything was acting, everything a play.

>>8401815
Elliot did not critique anything effectively that hadn't been done before, instead of a critique we get a true tragedy. The intelligent reader feels nothing but pity for this young man who had fallen so deeply into the trap of ressentiment that he ended his own life rather than live for one moment more in a universe where he was not the center, yet so desperately yearned to be because that is what society has told him must be if he wishes to attain happiness. Elliot wanted attention, he wanted real love yet he was left ill equipped to acquire it. A combination of bad parenting and too much internet rotted his brain.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.