[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/ I've recently heard about Dune and of what I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: pic279251.jpg (3MB, 1684x2309px) Image search: [Google]
pic279251.jpg
3MB, 1684x2309px
Hi /lit/ I've recently heard about Dune and of what I've gathered it seems right up my alley.
I really like the foundation trilogy because of the way it portrays humanity and all it's potential, that's what drove me into it and that's one of the reasons I also like the 40k universe. I've heard Dune inspired 40k and I want to know with as little spoilers as possible what's Dune about and if it treats humanity and his palce in the universe with the same magnitude Warhammer and the foundation do.
>>
Dune does not treat the expansion of Human civilization as a good thing. Dune starts out with a rebellion uprising but then becomes an existential pondering on fate/destiny and the terribleness of power.
>>
>>8401708
>>8402385
It is generally said that AT MOST the first four books are worth bothering with. Anything after that is the original author's son or the original author's extended canon which I guess people see as unnecessary.

I've only read the first two, but I hear Children of Dune (the 3rd book) is bad.
>>
>>8402385
>Dune does not treat the expansion of Human civilization as a good thing.

I only read the first two books, but this also is my impression so far.

Just read the book(s), OP. I haven't read Foundation, and I'm only familiar with the 40k universe through casual lore reading and some of the video games. The two aren't really comparable at all, the only parts of 40k inspired by Dune are some aspects of the imperium of man and the emperor. Dune was the beginning of science-fiction that went beyond merely exploring humanity's potential for technocratic societies and our universe's potential for other lifeforms. Dune (reminder I've only read the two first books) explores the idea that highly advanced technology as a defining aspect of human civilization is merely a temporary thing. It will eventually be the cause of our demise, and mankind instead had to embrace inner, spiritual(this word may come to have a new meaning for you, should you ever read Dune) development to thrive and not degenerate. The book takes place thousands of years after mankind began to favor this evolutionary path, and, naturally, this path will begin to exhibit challenges of its own. If you wanna find out more, read the book! :>
>>
>>8402402
3 is the weakest book in the first 4. Dune is a really weird series because I've met tons of people who hated 4 but loved 1 and 2, tons of people who hated 2 but loved 1 and 4, ect.

But the only thing people tend to agree on is that very few people like 3. It's kind of necessary to understand 4. Has some really weird shit like Leto II getting a raging hardon as he's covered in sandtrout. It does have some stuff about how Leto and his sister deal with their preborn nature to prevent themselves from becoming like Alia, and the fall of Alia helps us better understand why the BG tend to drown preborn infants.

5 and 6 are hardly talked about as most people consider 4 the logical stopping point, since 6 ends on a cliffhanger. But honestly I liked them as well. If I had to give a ranking I'd probably go 1 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 6 > 3.

Also what the fuck is up with all of the Dune threads using the same OP pic lately? Brian, is that you? Do you need more royalty money? Are those shit books you write with KJA just not pulling in the cash anymore?
>>
>>8402488
I dunno dude, but as someone who likes "Literary Fiction" I am thrilled by people on /lit/ no longer just writing of Dune. I think this is really a fantastic book on it's own and not just among shitty examples of genre fiction.
>>
>>8402488
It's strange. Maybe a collaborative effort to force a meme, though a good one. Could also be only one guy.

There was also a wash of Moby Dick threads for a while as well. Maybe it's just people going through their summer reading list in parallel order.
>>
>>8402488
I'm one of those who hated 4. It mostly consists of Emperor Leto ruminating and reminiscing, with very little plot progression. Its main purpose is to set up books 5 and 6 of the second trilogy.

Which is why I'd consider it weird to stop reading at 4. Why slog your way through such a long and tedious book without going on to reap the rewards? I thought 5 and 6 were both excellent. The main story arc reaches its conclusion, and the next one is set up nicely. It's just a shame that Herbert Sr. never got around to writing it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.