[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>severe depression, social anxiety, and general anxiety >isolated,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

>severe depression, social anxiety, and general anxiety
>isolated, no friends, etc
>taking 10mg lexapro and going to counseling weekly
>been playing Overwatch, smoking cigarettes, and reading as much as I can (20 pages in a day is an achievement for me)

I'm pretty much using video games, cigarettes, and antidepressants as crutches, and I'd like to replace them with reading and writing.

How do I go about doing this? Both video games and cigarettes leave me with a feeling of accomplishing nothing. I want to improve. I want to become an "avid reader."

Are there any books that explore overcoming modern distractions? That encourage it or help you learn how to do it?

/blog
>>
Depression isn't a real thing you moron. Get a job and go to the gym. Get a gf. Just b urself
>>
>>8398042
Just kill yourself, no one cares faggot
>>
start with something that you actually enjoy reading.
>>
>>8398045
>Just b urself
seconded
>>
Separate yourself from your vices. That means nature. That means the library. That means getting off your computer for once in your life, you mess.
>>
>>8398045
>>8398055
Horrible, ignorant advice.
>>
>>8398067
Horrible, ignorant post.
>>
try leaving the house
>>
>>8398042
>Not depressed anymore, tho sometimes it hits hard
>Completly isolated from the world, just spent my birthday completly alone in my room with only my mother congratulating me
>Smoking here and there, not really an adiction
>Playing NMS with Chillwave in the background to zone out of everything

I have an alarm at 17:00, everyday when that thing starts ringing I stop whatever I'm doing and sit in front of my window to read at least 50 pages. I can't leave a chapter unfinished so this means that most of the time I end up reading around 70 pages. The longest I've read was 120 in one sitting.
>>
>>8398042

Just don't play video games and read more. Is it really that painful for you to not play video games? I can imagine quitting smoking to be a struggle, but vidya?

Just go to a park or a library with a book you genuinely want to read and it should be a habit pretty quickly if you actually enjoy reading. It's really not more complicated than that.
>>
>>8398042
Start slowly, don't give up video games and smoking, but do them less. Instead of playing all day long, allow yourself a few hours to play and smoke less than you normally do, Then use some of that time for reading and writing. Don't force yourself to write a certain amount, but just say "as long as I write something, its a small victory" and try not to judge your writing for now. As you do this daily you'll feel more comfortable with it and slowly start improving. Same thing with reading, just the fact that you read today is a small victory, so what if it's only 20 pages, keep at it and you'll slowly start to read more.
>>
>>8398048

This. Don't care if you're reading pleb shit as long as you enjoy it.
>>
regular exercise is a really, really good idea. there is no hard boundary between the mind and body, its a unified system. willpower is much easier to cultivate if the body is healthy and vigorous. getting the heart rate up gives you an endorphin boost and clears toxins from your system. the mind tends to become slothful and easily bored if your physical body is too sedentary.

you need energy to overcome distractions, and physical movement creates energy. its not a panacea but i guaruntee you that if you do at least half an hour of vigorous cardio every single day without exception (barring illness or other emergencies) that it will help you become more productive in other areas of life.
>>
>>8398115
>Playing NMS with Chillwave in the background to zone out of everything
You'd better watch out, neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a dangerous game.
>>
>>8398042
Exercise in the morning. Just for an hour, it can be cardio or lifting weights.

Read something you like don't just go through the list of essential readings.

Read in the library or somewhere in public just not at home. That way you don't have the temptation of playing vidya and you are out in the world and have more of a chance to meet new people. Not saying you will meet new people but it's a high chance than sitting in your room.
>>
Still struggle with depression and anxiety (multiple hospitalizations, probably another one in the next year or two), but my advice is to find something that gets you up and out of the house, that you love. Reading is fantastic and books like Infinite Jest, The Sun Also Rises and On The Road have really helped me through some tough stuff and showed me better/different ways to live.

Cigarettes and video games aren't necessarily hurting nor helping the depression, though cigarettes in general are good to cut in time. Was smoking well over a pack (maybe 30 cigs) a day a couple weeks ago, yesterday I smoked 4-5 cigs with no issues. Exercise and nature DO help, and so even if it's light exercise, taking an hour walk in a park can do a lot for you. A walk isn't going to do as much for your physical health as some /fit/ workout, but it's a hell of a lot better than curling up next to your Xbox.

Also struggled with reading much and still do when depressed, but once I get myself sort of stable, it's a real joy to get in 50~ pages a day of reading, even if it takes me two or three hours.

Feel better OP! :)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.