[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished this, would love to have a discussion about its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (338KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
338KB, 2048x1536px
I just finished this, would love to have a discussion about its different themes.
What do you think Williams meant to symbolize with his constant use of light/dark being described in the text?
Do you think there is any significance in Stoner being referred to by his last name the entire time?
Whatre some of your favorite passages?
>>
>>8397207
>Do you think there is any significance in Stoner being referred to by his last name the entire time?

Americans do this all the time, apparently
>>
>>8397210
Do other countries not do that? It's specifically a male thing here, females always get referred to by first name
>>
>>8397210
True, but there are passages in which he is referred to by his first name instead, a scene which comes to mind is when he is discussing his marriage with Edith's parents the first time
>>
>>8397210
Lots of people around the world do it with athletes.
>>
There are couple of places where he describes dim light in the the room, and darkness in the corners, e.g. in hotel room, in his study, and in basement classroom, and I think it symbolizes the worst that's about to happen in his happiest moments.

Edith and Finch refer to him as Willy and Bill. I think Lomax calls him Bill until the Walker situation. There's not much behind it, really.

Dave's talk is one of favorites, as is whole last chapter. Also,

Five days before the marriage took place the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor; and William
Stoner watched the ceremony with a mixture of feeling that he had not had before. Like many others
who went through that time, he was gripped by what he could think of only as a numbness, though he
knew it was a feeling compounded of emotions so deep and intense that they could not be
acknowledged because they could not be lived with. It was the force of a public tragedy he felt, a
horror and a woe so all-pervasive that private tragedies and personal misfortunes were removed to
another state of being, yet were intensified by the very vastness in which they took place, as the
poignancy of a lone grave might be intensified by a great desert surrounding it. With a pity that was
almost impersonal he watched the sad little ritual of the marriage and was oddly moved by the
passive, indifferent beauty of his daughter's face and by the sullen desperation on the face of the young
man. (XV)

and

He had, in odd ways, given it to every moment of his life, and had perhaps given it most fully when he was unaware of his giving. It was a passion neither of the mind nor of the flesh; rather, it was a force that comprehended them both, as if they were but the matter of love, its specific substance. To a woman or to a poem, it said simply: Look! I am alive.

What I think is also worth discussing is comparison between Sloan and Stoner, Stoner and Lomax, Lomax and Walker, Edith and her mother, Edith and Grace etc.
>>
>>8397440
>There are couple of places where he describes dim light in the the room, and darkness in the corners, e.g. in hotel room, in his study, and in basement classroom, and I think it symbolizes the worst that's about to happen in his happiest moments.

I think its more than just a couple of places. Its also found it places that aren't bad moments to him; a notable passage comes to mind:

Sometimes, in his attic room at night, hewould look up from the book he was reading and gaze in the dark corners of the his room, where the lamplight flickered against the shadows. If he stared long and intently, the darkness gathered into a light, which took the insubstantial shape of what he had been reading. (I)
>>
>>8397210

it's very impersonal
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.