[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can any Marxists here help me with a problem I've run up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

Can any Marxists here help me with a problem I've run up against reading Capital? I just started Chapter 3, on Money or the Circulation of Commodities, and can't quite square this circle vis-a-vis the consolidation of the money-form out of the exchange of commodities.

Take a primitive communist society, where all laborers understand their labor as unique, their products only as use-values for the satisfaction of the needs of the social whole. One of our communists sets out from home one day with 10 glass beads in his pocket. He meets with a member of another tribe, who wants the glass beads, and offers to trade him one ivory tusk for them, which we must assume the owner of the glass beads has no access to. Thus we have an exchange established, which corresponds the "accidental" of commodities, Form A, which Marx sets out in Chapter 1, section 3.A:

10 beads = 1 tusk
x Com. A = y Com. B

The members of each tribe hear of the exchange, and want in on the action. Trade begins to spread through the villages, or whatever, and soon we find that, on the basis of this first Form A exchange, a whole chain of values are computed, such that every commodity can express its value relative to any other commodity. This is Form B:

10 beads = 1 tusk = 2 hides = 1/2 tent = 5 arrows ={...}

Now, this is where I get confused. How can it be that we do not immediately pass from B into Form D, or the Money-form of value? Form C looks something like this

1 tusk =....]
2 hides =..]
5 arrows =] 10 glass beads
{...} =........]

The only difference between this and Form D is that in the money-form, the beads are now recognized as the universal equivalent. Is it therefore that, while the economy we are considering is still exchanging by making Form B equations, each commodity owner experiences his own commodity as being the equivalent value in Form C? When in the process does Form C even exist, if it is explicitly stated throughout that it is characterized by no universality of the equivalent value it expresses? What kind of exchange is designated by Form C, if Form B already covers the absolutely relative chain of equivalences, and Form D already covers the universal equivalent in the money commodity?
>>
>>8396637

So no one here has read Capital? Not even Part 1??
>>
>>8397686
Ask /leftypol/
>>
>>8396637

The question is way too precise to have a chance of being satisfactorily answered here.

I have no idea why you would think it appropriate for the 4chan literature board.

Try the David Harvey companion books/lectures and delete thread.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.