[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /lit, this article appeared on reddit and apparently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1452160504718.jpg (11KB, 226x141px) Image search: [Google]
1452160504718.jpg
11KB, 226x141px
Alright /lit, this article appeared on reddit and apparently they can't understand this quote that sums up the articles reasoning "1985 study found listening comprehension correlated strongly with reading comprehension — suggesting that those who read books well would listen to them well"

This argument is the closest to triggered I get, how can I fight it?
>http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/08/listening-to-a-book-instead-of-reading-isnt-cheating.html
>https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4xejln/as_far_as_your_brain_is_concerned_audiobooks_are/
>>
>>8392224
huh
>>
>>8392224
>The decoding process does become automatic once you’ve passed a certain level of reading proficiency, but you can become even better at this well into adulthood — and the only way to get better is by reading. The improvements are small (“infinitesimal,” as Willingham put it) but they are there, and up for the grabs for a reader. Comprehension, too, is something that improves the more you read. And there are also, of course, times when you need to remind yourself of something farther back in the text, something that is no longer held in that one- to two-second echoic memory. (Which Greyjoy is Victarion, again?) You could pause the audiobook and hit that 15-second rewind button until you find it. But you probably won’t.

There’s also this question to contend with: Are you consuming the text the way the author intended it? (And how much does that matter?) The reader of Willingham’s own audiobook did a wonderful job, for example, but there were jokes stepped on, punch lines that didn’t quite land the way Willingham exactly intended. (This, incidentally, is why listening to one of those recent books in the funny female memoir genre — like Amy Poehler’s Yes Please — is often a much better experience than reading them.) “The idea that you are experiencing the novel in a way the author did not intend, that you’re missing out in some way — I’m much more open to that than ‘You listened to it, you big cheater,’” Willingham said.
>>
>>8392224

In the comments
>Decent article but what is up with the "and others would agree" part? You linked to a Reddit post with 0 upvotes and only 10 COMMENTS. It's like the author didn't even try to find a popular discussion on Reddit and went for the first post that turned up on Google.
>>
>>8392247
>I am so surprised there was no discussion of focus - reading, by its nature, does not allow for the same degree of multitasking as listening. When you are reading, you rarely are trying to do anything else. I think that has something to do with the "accomplishment" view of reading as well as whether you get something different out of a book that has your full attention.
>>
>>8392243
>>8392247
>>8392250

The pressing issue to me is that audiobooks are so widely accepted as reading on that site, and I consider reddit to be a decent representation of popular opinion, that reading itself will be considered too taxing and the value will just be lost entirely. It's not the first time shit like this has happened, a year or two ago some kids were saying college was too hard and that getting a degree should take less effort and knowledge. Its a good thing the teacher of that course said it that bullshit and if the student can't do the classwork he should try harder but somehow an article was still written about it. It's like people who are lazy in the least beneficial way seem to have too many people respect their bullshit
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with listening.

>>8392299
Reddit hates (or had a circlejerk of hate, before the anti-jerk began) audiobooks with a passion, just like they hate e-books; this is because they're pseuds who read to look good (rather than to...read), and you can't show off with an e-book or an audiobook.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.